Sign in to follow this  
greengti

Rear Wheel Bearing

Hello

My Corrrado has started making a horrible drowning noise which after doing a search on this forum i have found is probably the rear o/s wheel bearing (after checkin for play etc). Now i am faced with two choices:

1.. Turn up my 'best of S-club 7' CD and pretend its not there.

2.. Save myself the embarrassment of world know 'there aint no party like a S-club party' as i gayly cruse through Northampton and fix it..

After much soul searching i have decided that in order to keep the reputation of Corrado owns every where in tact i should do the decent thing and fix it.

So my question is..... How hard are the rear bearings to fix??? i have had experience with the front ones before and know they need the hub off and pressing out, is this the same with the rear or are they alot easier??? I have also read (on this forum) that the bolts should be only done up ''finger tight'' is this true??

Cheers

Adam

Remove the rear disc and the bearing will be in there. You will need to get it knocked (or pressed) out and a new one pressed in.

It is true that the bolts shouldnt be extremely tight but i wouldnt like to advise you how tight so ill leave that to someone more knowledgeable than myself.

Worth considering also that depending on what side of the car your working on that the nut could have a left hand thread...

Thankyou very much for your help.

but how hard are they to ''knock out'' are we talkin hub off and a proper professional press or hub on and some rough yet controlled persuasion by myself??

I am really trying to work out if its a 1 session start and finish job or if its a case of removing the hub, taking it to a garage getting the old one pressed out and the new on pressed in then putting the car back together making it a long enough job for the car to be in bits possibly for over a day?? and of course factoring in the extra cost of having the bearing removed and replace by a ''pro''.

I would love to say its doddle, just take the wheel off, take off the caliper, remove dust cover and bolt holding disc on, take to shop to get old bearing removed and new one pressed in, refitting is a reversal of removal and job done!

BUT when i did mine the other week it wasnt quite that easy!! Getting the caliper off was an arse as the bolts were damn tight (advise, jack car up locate allen key in bolt, and slide wheel brace over the end for leverage and PULL!)

i also had a problem that a race had jammed on the stub axle and had to be ground off - wouldnt think it would be too commen though.

Unlike the fronts the bearings are in the brake disc and not the hub!

The garage i took my disc to to have the bearing pressed in to didnt want anything to do it, but threw them a fiver anyway. It really should by a relatively quick job and car shouldnt need to be in bits for more than a day!

Cost is mimimal, bearing is £10 (give or take) from GSF - mine ended up costing all of 11p!

Best of luck, and if you have any problems get in touch with goldie and Toad to help :lol:

There is no need for a press, the bearings are tapered so don't need to be pressed in. The races can be removed with a punch and a suitable drift and new ones can be easily drifted in (with a socket and a hammer!)

No need for a garage and done in a few hours easily!

There is no need for a press, the bearings are tapered so don't need to be pressed in. The races can be removed with a punch and a suitable drift and new ones can be easily drifted in (with a socket and a hammer!)

No need for a garage and done in a few hours easily!

Any idea on what size socket is needed to drift the bearing in?

Any idea on what size socket is needed to drift the bearing in?

you can get away with using the old bearing ring to tap it in with, just use the old one on top the same way round, then you can tap it's protruding shoulder to knock it back out again when the new one is fully home.

David.

Thanks for all the info. I have had a look this morning and found that all the play on both sides of the rear could be removed by simply adjusting the existing bearings.... the final result no play, no money spent and minimal effort :) but on the down side the noise is still there :x ...

After driving up and down the same piece of road with different passengers listening then jacking the car up and checking each wheel in tern for play i have traced the noise back to the original bearing that i have already changed this week ( the front left wheel). Now i did only use the low quality GSF item but i would think it should last more then 30 mile!!! So what are we thinking??? a unlucky purchase of a ''bad'' bearing?? or possibly a issue with the hub or bit that the disc goes on drive shaft locates in????

Im thinkin it maybe easier to find someone locally who is breakin a rado and just buy the hub bearing a disc carrier bit and change it all over??

vw for the bearings , there are two on the rear (inner and outer) , the play should be set by tightening the hub bolt then put a flat head screwdriver onto the edge of the washer behind the nut and should be able to push the washer using finger pressure

common faults when fitting the bearing ...

dont touch the bearing with your skin as the moisture from your skin will oxidise and cause rust ...noisy bearing

dont overpack with grease (use correct grease)

dont overtighten

hth