Sign in to follow this  
Mancorr

What size copper bit?

As i have no heat im going to replace my thermo valve thing with a bit of copper pipe. Firstly is this ok to do, and secondly what size copper tube do i need? Ive looked at it this morning and looks like i need to buy a T piece copper pipe....maybe a 15mm bit??

Buy a new valve set from VW, about £28 and they have a few sets in stock. If you have problems getting the part number, I can get it as we had two sets this week. If you replace the valves with copper pipe you run the risk of a burst matrix blowing boiling coolant all over your legs, especially if it is a VR6.

Buy a new valve set from VW, about £28 and they have a few sets in stock

Hi

Cant the old valve be cleaned out with a kettle desacaler ?

If anybody does that please take piccies.

Cheers.

I suppose it could but they normally fail because they get over sensitive, not blocked.
:)

Hi

Most grateful to you. So can you tell me how they work.

Do they detect the unusual rise in water pressure and then block any water going to the matrix as a safety measure OR

do they detect a sudden drop in water pressure, just as the matrix starts leaking and then block any more water going to the matrix.

Thank you in advance.

I suppose it could but they normally fail because they get over sensitive, not blocked.
:)

Hi

Most grateful to you. So can you tell me how they work.

Do they detect the unusual rise in water pressure and then block any water going to the matrix as a safety measure OR

do they detect a sudden drop in water pressure, just as the matrix starts leaking and then block any more water going to the matrix.

Thank you in advance.

I think they just restrict the max pressure than can be delivered to the matrix inlet, any more and they open the valve to by-pass it. They must restrict the flow all the time a bit though as my valver's heater was made instantly cooler when the recall was done and the valve fitted.