Sign in to follow this  
Jim

Stereo stays on even after I take key out the ignition...

As per the title really. Got an oldish Alpine head unit in my Corrado (which I do plan to replace for a more modern MP3 jobbie when funds allow!) but it stays on even after I turn the car off AND take the key out of the ignition!

I know about the yellow / red cables you can swap around on most car head units but they are for if the stereo forgets its settings when you take the key out.. so i'm assuming its not those cables I need to look for and swap.

Any other suggestions?!

AFAIK there are 2 power supplies to the head unit.

One is for the memotry and one is for running the thing.

I know about the yellow / red cables you can swap around

Id swap these over as VWs are wired up the wrong way round.

Cool. Will go and have a twiddle around in the garage now!

Thanks chaps :)

Jim, does your lock barrel on pop out slightly after the key comes out, cos i used to be able to power up the radio on my rado just by pushing in the lock barrel in. maybe your has stuck in

I have a 1990 Corrado, and I am putting in a Pioneer Cd player, and I've discovered something. If you hook up a volt meter to the factory wire harness, there is no 12 Volt switched power supply, only a constant 12 Volt power supply. In fact if you buy one of those aftermarket stereo wire harness adapters, you will notice that where the aftermarket wire harness has the 12 volt switched source, there is no wire on the factory wire harness for it to connect to. I guess I have to find out where I can splice a wire into to create the 12 volt switched source.

itsnevo, welcome to the forum...

The Corrado uses standard ISO - there should be a switched live - either a yellow or red wire...

Ok rather than me just starting a thread aswell, can someone explain why my dash lights go with the beat of my stereo?! It depends on how loud it is too :?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=REPssAUkP_Y

because your head unit is drawing more current when the volume increases, so everytime there is a alot of bass it causes a voltage drop in the loom you get this alot more when running amps etc as they draw even more current, then a power cap solves your probs :wink:

I got my Pioneer stereo installed and working great now, and with using the factory amplified speaker system. On the factory wire harness, there was no 12 volt switched wire at all. My Corrado is a 1990, so mabye they didn't have the switched power source that early. There was a 12 volt constant power, a ground, 1 wire that put out around 3 amps to turn on the factory amp, a ground for the common ground speaker system, and a dimmer wire, no other wires were there and only one wire had a full 12 volts but it was a constant power supply. With the Metra aftermarker wire harness, there was extra wire that had a connector specifically to add the switched power source which I spliced into the switched power source going to the rear defrost, and there was 2 extra wires that I had to use to add the amp turn on and ground to get the factory amp to turn on that went from the factory wire harness to the new stereo. After all that was sorted out, it worked great!!

G60Jet, i bet ur right, tis the same with my C. Basically if i whip the key out fast the stereo stays on, i have to put the key back in and take it out slowly to turn it off. Now i take the keys out gently there is never a problem. One day i might giv it a tiny squirt of WD40!

I thought this was common with VW? Both stereo's in my Corrado & Scirocco can be turned on/off whether you have the ignition turned on or off - same in the other 3 Scirocco's I've owned as well.

Have to say my C does the same, just finished fitting my Alpine stereo at the weekend. The yellow wire is labelled to say take a direct feed from battery or fuse board. So i ran i wire to the battery and connected them, now mine wont switch off with the ignition, might try swaping mine round aswell.