Sign in to follow this  
Stan 24v

3rd Rear Brake Light

Right then, Ive been thinking and I'd like to add the OEM 3rd brake light.

Question is, do they fit? Is there any difference between ours and the US models?

Also, where can I get a price for one? Ive been offered one on Vortex, but not sure what theyre worth??? Anyone??

Cheers

Stan

Mine is OE anyway, and IF the light fits it'll still be OE, hence the question.

I thought it may just replace the bolted on small metal panel near the number plate lights?

Yes - the tailgate is slightly different. There is a little recess for the light to sit into a little more snugly IIRC!

It needs a body shop to cut a rectangular hole in the bit under the number plate light plus drill two bolt holes for the securing points, one each side of the large rectangular one. Red light unit will then sit snug on the body work.

So someone on Ebay is gonna spend over £50 for a brake light that won't fit their boot then?

http://url.the-corrado.net/cb0ec6

As Chris says, some modification will be needed to the boot. But I suppose if you don't do your research before you part with your $$$ then you get what you pay for!

didn't the cheesewire make one of these some time ago???

no mate , he fitted a high level brake light, iirc henny built one into the spoiler using led's

So someone on Ebay is gonna spend over £50 for a brake light that won't fit their boot then?

http://url.the-corrado.net/cb0ec6

As Chris says, some modification will be needed to the boot. But I suppose if you don't do your research before you part with your $$$ then you get what you pay for!

Thats why I love this forum!! 8)

Yeah the Cheese fitted a clear LED strip from a High Level light that Halfords sell to the top of the window and it's still holding up well - I was a bit dubious at the time as alot of these aftermarket LED things are badly made and the connections fail...

Henny's looks superb tho, very well finished indeed - I think there is info and pics in his Gallery.

Yep, you'd have to get a bodyshop to modify your tailgate to take the brake-light and get the parts too. Easier and cheaper to get a US-spec tailgate with the light built in already. They pop up on eBay from time to time.

Steve Gooding has done a good job of fitting a high level one on his.

I reckon the US spec one would be the easiest way of doing it though.

I made one of the high level ones too, by grafting it into the trim that goes round the rear window. Still works well, and at least the local chelsea tractors can see me now :D