Sign in to follow this  
Dfish

are these safe g60 mods?

doing a little research and I talked to a guy at bahn brenner. He said it would be fine to run a 57mm pulley(15psi) on their screw compressor on a stock g60. I'm new to vw's but 15psi would blow up any honda engine :wink: , unless it had stand alone fuel managment and a built up engine. would the g60 last with a setup like that, wouldn't it run lean?

thanks,

david

You'll need to remap ecu and change the FPR (maybe bigger injectors too?)

57mm is pretty damn small. Not sure I would be chuffed about doing that on a high mileage G60 un-rebuild engine.

Do you really need to have a 57mm pulley? Why not go for 65mm and cams and the rest?

doing a little research and I talked to a guy at bahn brenner. He said it would be fine to run a 57mm pulley(15psi) on their screw compressor on a stock g60. I'm new to vw's but 15psi would blow up any honda engine :wink: , unless it had stand alone fuel managment and a built up engine. would the g60 last with a setup like that, wouldn't it run lean?

thanks,

david

Im no expert but I reckon that blows the Honduhs up as there high compression engines wheras the g60 is a low compression.

Screw compressor on a stock g60? Do you mean its the g60 engine but with a different charger fitted ?

I'm planning on buying a higher milage corrado, so I would need to rebuild the g-ladder or buy the bbm screwcompessor, I figure I could get more performance out of bbm's.

I remember seeing a video from vwvortex about the some other (non-stock) charger some one was running. Could have been a lysholm (sic?)

It sounded terrible, really really loud noise from it like nothing I have heard before. I'll try to look it out.

You should have a look over there, there are always loads of posts about alternative chargers etc..

--Oh and yeah,

If you dont have a record of having the charger rebuilt then budget to get it done asap. Should get it done ever 60k tops ideally. More frequent if it s been on a small pulley. And not sure how gaskets will hold out on an old engine with masses of boost?

if you like the sound, go for it. personally i think the sound is awful...

its not really a performance upgrade.. more of a replacement charger that is 'as good' as the g-lader. one big benefit it has is it can be reved much higher than a g-lader so if the engine can handle it, you can rev to 7000+rpm... great on a 16v or 20v high rever.

I've only ridden in a slc, so I wouldn't know the diffrence between the sound of the g-ladder and screw compressor. Not many corrado owners in minnesota. I'll take your word that the g-ladder sounds better. it would be 8v, so I'd would save alot of money just to stay with the g-ladder. Maybe some pullys,cams chips and stuff and put the extra money into suspension.

Thanks for the help

the screw compressor does offer a distinct performance advantage over the G60, even when the G60 is fitted with a 68mm pulley. The Lysholm compressor is better efficiency so doesn't create as much heat as the G-lader. I got almost to the point of buying one of these last year, £2200. what put me off more than anything was the noise, way too loud and the fact that a Corrado G60 without a G-lader is no longer a G60!