Sign in to follow this  
M.P.H.

kerbing

Got some alloys which are kerbed, but don't think they require a full refurb as the centres are untouched. Can the rim of the wheel be repaired/polished only, if so anyone recommend somewhere in or around nottingham. Have attached a picture of the damage, also any idea on price.

1016.jpg

You could probably take that out yourself with some wet n dry,then repolish starting with Autosil then finish with Peek :wink:

Sorry billcor, you've lost me. Whats autosil & peek, is there a thread showing how to do this.

James, car looks the part. What grades did you start and finish with.

Sorry billcor, you've lost me. Whats autosil & peek, is there a thread showing how to do this.

James, car looks the part. What grades did you start and finish with.

If the rims are NOT laquered, you can repair/polish with said items.

Use Wet-and-Dry paper>WET to get the rim flat again :wink:

Yep, you could Do It Yourself. All depends on what you want them for?

If you want those wheels for SHOWS then I'd get them done professionally for a small price. However, if all you want is very nice looking rims for daily use, then I'd DIY; there is always the horrible chance that you may do some minor damage yourself one day.

Even if the rims were laquered, I'd still DIY, but be aware that you need to apply some laqure afterwards, to prevent rust. Obviously you protect the tyres by masking it all off.

Alternatively to using the Autosil polish, you might want to paint them with silver. I cant quite make out what your alloys are, as the rim looks polished but the spokes look like a metalic paint; therefore no laqure required here.

In either case, get them fixed before they blister (as this is what bare alloy/metal does), or save them for summer.

PS - you would probably start off with a tiny file, very carefully, to remove those large sratches, whilst keeping the curved shape - tricky. Then you use the (emery) Wet-n-dry paper - you litterally WET the paper before using it (do not use sandpaper).

Your scratches look fine, but if they were worse/deeper, or they had started to blister, there is a nasty chance it would affect the tyre seal and therefore in that case I'd get them done professionally.