Sign in to follow this  
matthewb1985

Changing water pump-help ASAP

I am going to change my water pump and thermostat today as they are both not working. I have a manual for the passat - i have a 2.0 16v. It says i have to remove the power steering pump is threre a way of not removing it?

cheers

You can leave the P/S pump in place but it is easier to drop it down to give you more room, but leave the hydraulics connected. You will have to remove the alternator and then the bracket over the top of the water pump which will allow access to the last pump bolt. Try not to remove the lower ally bracket for the P/S pump from the block, you can work around it. The bolts through this bracket often seize in and snap, and even if you do get it apart, reassembly should be done very carefully, slowly nipping each bolt of the P/S pump system back up. If the lower bracket doesn’t bolt up straight, you can snap one of the lugs off the block.

matthewb1985, There is a locking tool but you can use another allen key or the belt to hold it - it is tricky tho but they shouldn't be too tight...