Sign in to follow this  
shephard

how much for a head gasket

does anyone know how much a head gasket change at the garage would be.just looked under the oil cap and there is a bit of white, no overheating, misfire or oil in the water is this definately head gasket please. thank you

has it been doing a lot of short journeys where it doesnt get chance to heat up fully?

its not unusual especially in this weather to get a bit of condensation in the oil from time to time, take the car for a good long drive and give it a bit of stick so it gets up to temperature and then re-check.

Sometimes the white stuff can happen in this weather if you just do short runs, Use to happen in My citroen. To see for sure take it for a long drive to really warm it up, if the slugde has gone, then it is more than likely just condensation.

thanks for the reply it just put a big smile on my face. the only problem i have is its not mot tax or insured so i cant really drive it

that is another thing i only bought the car about the month ago when i went to get it i was talking to the matey for about 20 mins and i dont know if the fan even kicked in but it wasnt overheating still

did the temp guage go over about half way while it was running? if not, its possible the thermostat is stuck open or missing, if thats the case it will take ages to heat up.

either that or the weather was just too cold for it to reach the temp that the fan kicks in, my mates golf has had a new engine fitted and in this weather the fan doesnt come on at all.

im debating whether to even just scrap the bugger cos i went to change the fan belt what on any other is a 2 second job on the rado i quickly put the bonnet down and forgot it