Sign in to follow this  
eddy

vr6 engine oil

Would 10/30 semi be ok for a 1993 vr6 with 158k on the clocks? Only i have been given 5 litres of the stuff and i need to do a oil change.

Im sure a freindly mod will move it for you.

Theres a lot of info on oil changing and what to use, have a search.

IIRC a VR takes 5.5 litres so make sure youve got enough.

what about 15/40, is that ok?

I couldnt give you a definite answer for that.

Id try asking oilman, hes the guy who knows everything.

Either that or give Vince a ring as Stealth..

15/40 is OK.

A little thicker in the mornings than is ideal, but it's not the end of the world. The VR isn't that fussy with oil. Just use what ever brand and viscosity it seems to use the least amount of. Some oils burn off quicker than others.

In an older VR or a highly modified one, I'd be inclined to use either a 10 or 15/50W.

The 10/40W stuff VW sell is a good and safe bet. A good general purpose oil in reasonably healthy motors.

15/40 is OK.

A little thicker in the mornings than is ideal, but it's not the end of the world. The VR isn't that fussy with oil. Just use what ever brand and viscosity it seems to use the least amount of. Some oils burn off quicker than others.

In an older VR or a highly modified one, I'd be inclined to use either a 10 or 15/50W.

The 10/40W stuff VW sell is a good and safe bet. A good general purpose oil in reasonably healthy motors.

Cheers for that!

TBH i havent seen any 15/50 only ever seen 40 or 30. I know halfords range of oils only seem to be 5/40, 10/40 or 15/40.

I've been using Castrol GTX Magnatec 15W 40 for the best part of the past 10 years / 117k miles on my VR6 and it seems fairly happy on it. :)

TBH i havent seen any 15/50 only ever seen 40 or 30. I know halfords range of oils only seem to be 5/40, 10/40 or 15/40.

You need to go a little further afield to find it..... Mobil 15/50W Motorsport, Silkolene ProS 10 and 15/50W, Castrol RS 10/60W, Motul, Agip, to name but a few 8)

Most cars these days use thin stuff due to the emissions driven tight tolerances, so it's all Halfords stock really. All the above brands available online....

Shell Helix Semi-Synthetic 15W-40 all the way! :)

I have always used this oil on my cars, never had any engine issue!