Sign in to follow this  
JBOB

Stub axle

The stupid idiot that is me :lol: reversed in the carpark at work this morning and just slightly knocked the offside rear wheels against a curb. Now it was only a very slight bump but now the wheel doesn’t look straight, it looks like its pointing inwards as if ive got slight toe in on one rear wheel :roll:

A mate at work says its gonna be a bent stub axle !!!! So how hard is it to change and do I need to change more than one part

or just this -

43806D STUB AXLE-REAR RH CO 9/88 > Rear Disc Brakes £42.50

Ive done most things on car's before but not one of these !!

hopefully it would be just the stub axle (6) which is showing @ £110 !

but i would do the rear bearings as if it is bent then they will be damaged

hopefully it isnt the rear axle beam as thats £450 ! :-(

changing it shouldnt be a big job, caliper off, handbrake cable off, disc off , unbolt the hub and replace but i bet those bolts are a pia to get off :-(

I hope its not the rear axle beam !!!!! and £110 for the stub ...... is that from VAG ?

It wasnt a hard bump and I assume the stub is weaker than the beam so it should bend first (fingers crossed :lol: )

I wouldnt have thought that would be very safe ........ £110 = maybe not :oops:

:lol:

You can't bend the axle at that speed, something else must be wrong - maybe check the seam welds on the axle...

Wouldn't think a stub axle would bend easily either - just wondering if you've ripped a rusty bolt out of it's thread - the ones that go thru the brake sheilds and hold the stubs to the beam...

Supercharged I had that suggestion this morning from someone at work so im gonna strip everything off this weekend and have a look. Good excuse to drive my g/f's Passat now though …… 20vT power :lol: 8)

How about a perished axle beam bush that has shifted as a result of the impact?

Given that the middle (rubber) part of these just about falls out when they get really tired, it's probably the path of least resistance if anything got knocked about.