Sign in to follow this  
Mancorr

Bleeding help!

I did the bodge job and used copper piping to replace my matrix by-pass thing as my VW dealer has ordered me a new by-pass but said i could be waiting for upto 2 weeks :( Anyway after the operation i left the car running for about 15 mins and coolant started flowing out the expansion tank (lid off by the way!!) I have then felt top rad hose which is hot, bottom rad hose is warm. Heating in car now works but only warm, better than cold which it was before operation. Have i bled the system correctly....also why is the heating in car only warm? MFA reading was 106c so should be nice and hot air i would have thought :?

I checked the search and not found anything relating to bleeding after this mod/bodge!

You probably have a blocked matrix so you should give the valves a miss and order two new pipes and a genuine Golf 3 matrix. At 106 degrees, if the matrix goes your feet will get warm!

i have similar prob. I've checked my by-pass valve and it's fine, run a hosepipe through the matrix and no obvious blockage but no heat through vents, or only warm once the engine has worked hard. All the hoses heat up and it's bled. What's bloody wrong?

i have similar prob. I've checked my by-pass valve and it's fine,

Hi

How did you check the bypass valve ? :lol:

I took it off the car and blew through both pieces (plastic and metal). Metal ones only letting a flow through in the direction of the matrix, and it's still doing it after heating it with boiling water so it's not somehow shutting spuriouly and diverting to by-pass when hot. And the plastic non-return is functioning as advertised. :wink:

I was wondering if a crap water pump (corroded vanes?) or duff fan switch (coming on early at too low a temp? long shot methinks) would give a similar problem?????

check out the thread in this section called {GOT SOME INFO ON HEATING VALVE ...... BYPASS WITH PICS} its quite disturbing

Metal ones only letting a flow through in the direction of the matrix, and it's still doing it after heating it with boiling water so it's not somehow shutting spuriouly and diverting to by-pass when hot. And the plastic non-return is functioning as advertised. :wink:

Hi

Thank you for the reply.

My understanding is that the opening is pressure related NOT temperature related ie if the pressure is too high then it bypasses to avoid blowing the matrix.

Where is the plastic non-return valve ?

Any pictures will be great.

Yeah the metal valve is pressure relief but i just checked it hot too to make sure it wasn't Plssing me about! If you follow the small bore by-pass hose it goes to the plastic NRvalve on the matrix outlet. The recall fit was both valves and the hose. If you look at the 2 hoses from the matrix to the rest of the system they have been chopped to fit the valve set. You can buy the lot from VW for about £25, it's one item. I checked mine cos i thought it needed changing but it would seem to be not the case. Which actually is a damn nuisance cos some thing else is obviously amiss - bugger!