Sign in to follow this  
nia573

Knock from drivers side front on Mk2

Had a knocking sound a while back in my Mk2 as detailed here

http://www.clubgti.com/forum/showthread.php?t=106597

Since then I've changed the front suspension top mounts to VR6 ones (with seperate bearing), checked the front struts & they're A1 (Konis), replaced the bumpstops & tie rod ends 'cos the bushes were split, had the alignment & camber done. I've replaced the front & rear engine mounts too, but haven't done the gearbox one

The lower balljoints are ok & the wishbones (fitted with powerflex bushes) aren't bent or anything. I've checked all the bolts & fixings for tightness & all seems fine. I've checked the rack rubber mount too & thats good (didn't check the other rack bolts though??). Downpipe isn't knocking either

Trouble is I'm still having a knocking/clonking noise in 1st & 2nd, sometimes when pulling off or driving over surfaces that aren't flat. The car drives fine on normal A roads that have a good surface, but along crap city roads with potholes & manholes etc , it seems if one wheel hits an uneven patch it will inevitably clonk. If I drive over a speedbump, slowly & straight on, it's ok. Better than before because of the VR6 top mounts, so I think they're doing they're job

The noise seems to come from the drivers side footwell area & can be felt through the pedals. I have an Eibach ARB fitted & the end links & bushes are ok, but noticed the other day that there was a slight gap on one side of the central bushes (that are sandwiched by the subframe) - the bush didn't fit snug around the bar & there was say a 2 or 3mm gap on the rearward side. I can't remember if the cars steering was to one side or not though, & the car wasn't on a flat road, but should it be like this at the straight ahead position (on flat ground)??

Only other thing I can think of is the Drivers Side Inner CV joint - could this cause knocking etc (what are the symptoms of a knackered inner cv?). There's no clicking sound on full lock like you get with a dodgy outer joint, so I think the outers are ok

Anyone else have similar problems? Losing my mind steadily here

hey

nia573,

the only thing i could think of was ARB or steering rack mounts! not that technically minded though but just thought i`d say hi!

seems like your pretty handy working on your car i might have to give you a shout when it comes to me changing the front brakes on mine if you dont mind!!??

hope someone comes to your rescue

ben

Had a similar noise a few months back and it was the arb. Tricky to spot though. Mine looked fine untill you stuck a screwdriver in there and gave it some leverage. Replaced both sides as a precaution. Still to get the alignment checked though - it has never felt right since !

Have a near identical problem with my gf's Mark 2 GTi - symptoms sound similar to yours. Tapping at low speeds that turns into a juddering at higher speeds especially on uneven roads and when you come off the throttle, can feel the knocking through the pedals and also the gearstick if you rest your hand on it lightly.

It sounds worse than your noise though. It only happens when the car gets really hot. I'm thinking CV joint, inner one is knackered and when it heats up and expands something's catching so it doesn't move smoothly.

Anyway, car is with my local garage and they're taking a look tomorrow, so I'll post back. It doesn't knock on full lock btw. I'll get them to check the ARB as well, cheers for that. It's doing my head in as it's my old car and I gave it to her when I bought the 'rado and now she doesn't trust the car etc :-(

Thanks for the responses.

I'm pretty sure the ARB is on the right way round but will double check to be sure!

I'll also double check the rack (is it 2 nuts on 2 splined bolts on the drivers side?) & subframe mounting bolts

Look forward to your findings Mystic Raddo - it's so frustrating trying to trace knocks like these. (mustn't get on the bad side of the g/f either!)

Hi Ben!

I'll gladly give you a hand if you want. The garage in Penmon (where my tools are) is in a bit of a mess at the mo' though, so it may be a case of waiting a bit when the weathers a bit warmer/drier? If your desperate perhaps we can sort a weekend sometime

Mike