Sign in to follow this  
BILLCOR

Do ya think this is broken?

Decided to take the G60 out for a spin today, warmed her up nice and slow as usual cause i dont use her that much, she`s only on 53k and has been well looked after with FSH and mots to confirm mileage,all pretty standard apart from samco hoses

Anyway, givin it a blast down the country roads when all kinda went ti*s up, strange whining then grinding,engines still running so i new it wasnt the cambelt, pulled over, popped the bonnet, OH Poop.

This is exactly why i have never had a G60 before, rubber bloomin' belts

Admin Edit: Title de-swearworded and whole post de-swearworded. Do not try to get round the swear filter.

Weird, must have been the original belt in there then. I take it Fat Tony never had the charger inspected and or rebuilt due to the low miles ? Can't say have ever heard of a charger to go at such low miles !

V.bad luck mate, hope you get it sorted soon.

Dont think its the mileage Struan, more the age, i did have it inspected at VAG when i got it but obviously they saw nothing or didnt bother to look

Its just a bustard nuisance, might just sell the foker :lol:

Just noticed my first post has been Deswearworded, ya might have put some more colourful words in place OH POOP, BLOOMIN? can a man not show his true feelings anymore :p :lol:

It was probably an inadvertently fatal mistake to have it checked over by VW mate - Volkswagen simply do not inspect the charger. To them its a sealed unit. If one breaks, they fit a new one (at a cost of a few thousand pounds) - there is no maintainance or inspection routine at Volkswagen for the G60's supercharger :(

agree with Jim..............in hindsight I'd have got Star-Performance or G-werks to have given it a clean bill of health rather than VW

Jeesus thats not good Billcor :(

I will better get mine checked/changed soon.

I have always asked when i get it serviced at start about getting the charger done but Jim has always ensured me that with regular servicing and decent oil and treating the car the way i do it could prob run for years without being concerned.

Mine has just hit 44k but the belt is def on the list for getting done now.

Have used Star- Performance in the past, Jim the owner is not the easiest guy to get on with, G-Werks is just to far away although i did call them and asked advice when i got the car, my own fault really,should have got it serviced anyway :roll: POOP Happens

Jeesus thats not good Billcor :(

I will better get mine checked/changed soon.

I have always asked when i get it serviced at start about getting the charger done but Jim has always ensured me that with regular servicing and decent oil and treating the car the way i do it could prob run for years without being concerned.

Mine has just hit 44k but the belt is def on the list for getting done now.

If its never been serviced i would not chance it mate, no matter how low the mileage

Jeez - I'm suprised the belts lasted that long regardless of mileage, it's 15 years old minimum now...

I can't believe someones replaced the leads and bought samco pipes for a 50k engine but not had the changer belt uprated!!!!

Engine looks like it's got fairly hot at some point too looking at the paint cracking on the rocker cover.

Not just the belt I suppose.

If a bearing siezes, the belt will snap regardless of age & width.

Assuming a bearing is to blame...

Then again I may be talking cr=p, I usually do.

Yep, as above - oil line failure / blockage can lead to bearing failure so thats another thing all G60 owners should check.

The original belt is also too thin compared to the ones G-werks use to replace them.

Not sure exactly what the cause was but i am sure its capoot !

So who`s up for a BBM group buy??????? :lol:

Are these a direct replacement with no other work required?

Looking at the prices on G-werks site, not a huge difference from havin to buy a replacment G-lader

Not a huge difference ?

Well your looking at £2000 plus fitting for the BBM Screw charger (price for the silenced one, £1650 for the standard one) as opposed to approx £950 for a new G60 charger or approx £500-£600 for a fully rebuilt and ported secondhand G60 charger.

If I had the money go for the BBM one but if funds don't stretch then get a secondhand charger and have it rebilt and ported or just rebuilt mate, and save yourself £1000-£1350 over price of BBM kit.

Cheers

Not a huge difference ?

Well your looking at £2000 plus fitting for the BBM Screw charger (price for the silenced one, £1650 for the standard one) as opposed to approx £950 for a new G60 charger or approx £500-£600 for a fully rebuilt and ported secondhand G60 charger.

If I had the money go for the BBM one but if funds don't stretch then get a secondhand charger and have it rebilt and ported or just rebuilt mate, and save yourself £1000-£1350 over price of BBM kit.

Cheers

Yep i was talking without silencer kit Struan, does the BBM fit straight on with no other mods required?

As for the damaged charger, could it have done any damage to engine with the debris? engine still sounded fine at the time :roll:

Most debris gets trapped in the intercooler - so you might want to remove that and get it cleaned out just to make sure no bits are going to make their way into the engine!

Not sure if you need a new chip Bill, but think the kit pretty much fits straight on. Yep, would go for the silencer kit if was installing one, comes with all the boost / intercooler pipes etc I think.

You'll need to clean out your intercooler, all boost / intercooler pipes and throttle body as well. I take it the car wasn't running for long after the charger went ?

As long as parts are cleaned out with high-pressure airline of all debris and engine wasn't running long after charger blew (for bits to be sucked through etc) you should be fine.

Cheers

yes a BBM charger is easy to fit, so Darren says, take the old one off and the new one fits straight in, comes with a new oil feed, as the fitting on the BBM charger is different to that of the standard unit. you wont regret buying one, dont even bother with the silencing kit, the charger is not any louder than the original unit. im well chuffed with mine, best thing ive ever got for it. and im sure £1650 will secure you one.

Come on mate, the BBM charger without the silencing unit is way louder than the standard charger ! It even states this on both:

G-Werks site - "Note: Please realize that this auxiliary mounted, non silenced charger kit is loud. Add the silencer kit option for near stealth mode."

BahnBrenner site - "Keep in mind that this charger is much louder than the G-Lader and will attract some attention."

and there are numerous threads about how much louder is is on the forum, e.g.

http://www.the-corrado.net/.archive/forum/viewto ... &start=255

http://www.the-corrado.net/.archive/forum/viewto ... r&start=15

http://www.the-corrado.net/.archive/forum/viewto ... bm+charger

http://www.the-corrado.net/.archive/forum/viewto ... bm+charger

Have to agree with you Struan.. the noise of the BBM charger is really an acquired taste. I could never consider one without the silencer kit - it'd drive me insane!

each to your own, i drive around in my one everyday. what do i know....

oh and i think the gwerks site info on the BBM is pretty much copied and pated from the BBM website, thats why they say the same thing...

Cheers for the info guys, i`m now thinking the best way forward is get the car back together using the cheapest options,ie, pick up a charger, get it serviced if need be, refit, i had been considering selling in the summer due to lack of use and we were gonna change the Passat aswell so no point spending more money than need be :roll: