Sign in to follow this  
bugie

I am in the process of trying to find my first corrado, Am hearing that a lot of things keep going wrong with them. Am I just hearing bad things? Are there good cars out there? I have about 2G to spend. I am going to look at a 91 G60 they are asking 1,700 for the car.

Is there any thing I should know ?. Pls help

I am a father of 4 not a lot of money?thanx

Well you have to understand that with the Corrado (and particularly the earlier models like the G60) you are going to end up with a car that is 11+ years old. I think its a testament to VW / Karmann that these cars are still on the road today and in generally very good mechanical order despite having usually crunched up well over 120,000 miles with little more than regular servicing.

As you are looking at a Corrado G60, there are a few things you should look out for when buying. First and foremost is to ensure that the G-Lader / Supercharger has been rebuilt at some point in its life - preferably about the 60,000 / 70,000 mile mark. The G60 supercharger is not an indestructable unit and does need servicing, so check that it has been rebuilt. If not, try and haggle some money off the price and get it done after buying the car - especially if its done a lot of miles. If the charger does blow, you are looking at a bill of £1,500+ with VW, so its in your best interests to spend the £500 getting it taken care of!

Other than that, its pretty much standard stuff. A full VWSH is always preferential, but at least a FSH is what you want.. you can't afford to be missing out on services with the Corrado.

Check all the electric toys work, such as the mirrors and sunroof. Sunroofs have a habit of breaking and are costly to fix - so make sure the sunroof both tilts AND slides. The rear electric spoiler should automatically raise at anywhere between 40MPH and 56MPH depending (seems to be different on most Corrados) and retract again at about 5MPH.

Make sure the car idles well, and make sure there are no warning signs for things like the headgasket needing redoing, etc.

:)

Hi mate,

Welcome to the forum

Hope you get the car you are looking for.

The Corrado G60 is an expensive car unless its taken care of. To add onto what jims16v said on top of buying a new charger and install for somewhere in the region of £2000 if it blows.... When it blows all the seals and bearings could also find themselves all around and inside you intercooler and other places.... Then your looking at mega bucks to rescue that, probably another £2000 for intercooler and whatever else is damaged.

Hope this doesn't scare you but its stuff you need to know.

Like I said its expensive unless its taken care of.

Any other problems you have or questions you need answered, just stick a post on, someone will no doubt be able to answer.

Where abouts are you situated and someone will be able to give you the address of a garage they hopefully "trust" that you can get it serviced at.

Keep us updated on how you get on.

DM

welcome bugie :)

Glad to see you've come here first, before splashing out, these boys will give you all the info you'll ever need :D

Thera

"Thanks great help...... what about the 1.8 16v"

Welcome mate - still a newbie myself!

I've had two 16v's now, reason being I always was a bit wary of the g60 superchargeer rebuild cost, but nowadays seems there's a few guys who can rebuild a lot cheaper. Hence might make my next a G60 :D

In terms of the 16v, i've found both mine to be 'fairly reliable'!! Ok I've had some reasonable bills every year for one thing and another, but well worth it, and you can mostly see :shock: (hear) the trouble coming!

'Majorish' trouble i've had is 'rear callipers, rear shocks (wallowing), rear and mid exhaust, hydraulic tappets' rest has been the usual suspects like damn door handles :x

Best of luck anyway!

I am in the process of trying to find my first corrado, Am hearing that a lot of things keep going wrong with them. Am I just hearing bad things? Are there good cars out there? I have about 2G to spend. I am going to look at a 91 G60 they are asking 1,700 for the car.

Is there any thing I should know ?. Pls help

I am a father of 4 not a lot of money?thanx

as i'm sure you have read in the forum all the woes and problems that people have had with their C's.......these are not the sort of car to run on the cheap......as although they are getting in the lower (purchase)price bracket these days they are still basically high-cost maintanence cars,especially as they have a lot of bits that are Corrado-specific

if for example you go for a G60 for £1700, unless you have documented proof that the 'charger has been rebuilt recently you will need to budget to get this done asap or your bill could well be close to your purchase price.....thats even before you go for fixing any niggles that the C has......its more or less a case of buying the best you can.....instead of the cheapest you can......sorry if this is patronising but don't want you to spend all your wedge on a C that bites you financially at every oportunity

I got my corrado for £1800, 81k miles, no charger rebuild, and ABS prob back at the start of August; now here we are slap bang in the middle of october, and I still have'nt driven it!

I have been doing work on it (not all 100% neccessary), only on sundays admitantly, but what I am attempting to say is that you get what you pay for - I knew what I was buying and am not surprised I am still spending sundays in the garge. I would hate to think how much a 'garge' would charge to do what I've done! :shock:

If you are looking for trouble free motoring, then dont touch a £1700 g60 with a big long stick unless you are totally confident you know what your doing.

now, I beleive you owe me 2p!!!(or do I owe you 2p? maybe we'll call it quits!)

You have all been a great help thanks muchly.I live in worksop 18 mile from sheffield. i have a 1.8 16v to go look at on saturday again 1700 (sorry no pound sign cant find proper setting)again a j reg,he says the passenger door will only open from the inside,and says it should cost me arround 50quid to be put right still my dream car.

any more advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanx bugie

You have all been a great help thanks muchly.I live in worksop 18 mile from sheffield. i have a 1.8 16v to go look at on saturday again 1700 (sorry no pound sign cant find proper setting)again a j reg,he says the passenger door will only open from the inside,and says it should cost me arround 50quid to be put right still my dream car.

any more advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanx bugie

£50 providing that you are handy enough to change the handle yourself and you can get a 2nd-hand handle cheaply too.........handles are a common C weakness........and they cost approx £50+vat just for the part.....thats new of course