Sign in to follow this  
craigowl

Peugeot 205 heater fan control gone

On my 16 year old 205 diesel (1990) heater fan stopped operating.

-got fan out and put 12v to it - it goes OK - no bad noises.

-trying to get heater control panel (3 knobs) out today.

As is often the case, Haynes ain't too helpful for me here.

Question 1 - you dont have to get whole fascia off do you?

Question 2 - which bit of the heater control panel will need to be replaced (local garage says you cant repair it - get new unit).

Fan is not like polo with, say, 4 speeds but is variable speed from standstill to full on.

Thanks in advance, guys, for any advice.

:lol:

Dont tempt me - have spent £600 on it since October!

Determined to keep it as our daily runabout - still viewing it as an economical proposition. You would not believe its great general condition.

No rust whatsoever, uncomplicated 1.8 non turbo diesel engine, etc.

my mate had a 205 gti many years ago & i vaguely remember his heater packing up! from memory it's a common fault on 'em & it ended up costing him a fortune & his father in law owns a garage! i think it's along the lines of a corrado heater matrix kinda job! soz for sounding vague but it's over 10 year ago, when i see him i'll ask him.

Thanks, dood.

I am just back indoors after putting it all back together again.

I cleaned the rotating knob bit and the circuit board with a few squirts of "Clean tronic" and now the fan works!

Worst bit was getting the heater control panel out of the dashboard - i think you are supposed to remove most of the fascia and possibly the steering wheel! - and then putting everything back together again.

I applied a bit of leverage to plastic here and there, unscrewed about 16 screws and managed to prise the thing out a few inches enuf to spray it.

Heating system works but disappointing to have 3 screws left for trim - bl00dy French! If nothing rattles I wont bother tracking dowmn where they go - this car doesnt owe us anything.