Sign in to follow this  
Monoboy

VR6 Misfire at idle and below 2000rpm

Hi all,

I know this is a bit of a 'how long is a piece of string' question, but I was just taking the old C out for a spin before a guy comes round to look at buying it tomorrow, and wouldn't you know, it's just started misfiring.

It's dark now so I haven't yet investigated very far. I know the obvious culprits - plugs, HT leads, MAF, etc., but I was wondering if anyone could help me narrow it down. In particular the fact that it runs fine above 2000rpm, but loses a cylinder (or maybe 2) at any throttle openings below that engine speed. Does this suggest any particular faults over the others?

Thanks in advance.

-Dave

PS It's sad to say, but I just want rid of it now, it's niggles like this that have made me want to sell her.

As you say, any one of the HT components but (in the dark) take a look around the leads, especially down the holes into the head where the end caps go, and look for any little blue sparks. Also, take the plugs out and have a look at them, especially number 6 to see if they are worn or carbon covered. I did a VR6 for a chap this morning that had what were described as new leads and plugs but the leads were sparking everywhere (ECP quality stuff) and the NGK plugs were worn with number 6 clogged solid with oil burning carbon. Ran a treat after new Beru plugs (I know, I know but I had run out of NGK’s, well I had four-Doh!) and Blue Igniters.

Check your Idle Stabilizer as well.

I had a similar issue a few days ago...where the car was sputtering and had a random jumping idle. I switched out my MAF, and so far the sputtering is gone. Maybe try cleaning your MAF, throttle body, and Idle Stabilizer...those are free to do. :)