Sign in to follow this  
Andy665

Not Rado but Golf MK1 problem....

Slight problem with the wifes 1986 MK1 GTi Cab.

Off the road for winter but regularly started and moved around to keep everything nice andworking as it should.

Started her up today and settled to a nice steady idle - after a couple of minutes it just died.

No problems with re-starting but it kept on dying.

Theres about 1/4 tank of fuel in her.

Any suggestions as to where I should start would be gratefully received.

When starting initially it ran for a couple of minutes, re-starting subsequently it will run if revs are kept up but dies the instant you release the throttle to let it idle.

Is that a DX engine?

If so, start checking the fifth injector (does it leak), the thermotime switch driving the 5th injector, auxiliary air valve (should open, then close slowly).

Any noises from around the fuel pump underneath rear right ? If loud noises become eminent after some time, it could be the in-tank fuel lift pump that's shot.

Just a few ideas, if it is indeed a DX (or other CIS) engine

Tempest

Started it again this morning - idled perfectly for the first two minutes and then died, will crank over no problem but won't catch - trying to think it through logically and will check the fuel pump relay (heard they can be tempremental), 5th injector and then the fuel filter - any other suggestions??

Checked the fifth injector and thats working fine.

On checking the fuel pump relay I discovered that its clearly not OE as it has no fuse built-in to it - would a faulty fuel pump rleay permit the car to start initially and then die shortly afterwards? Going to change this anyway.

Will replace the fuel filter as well.

Any other suggestions?

Tempest - yes it is a DX engine

Timg60 - yes I have but had no reply

Got a feeling this is going to be a time consuming and trial and error thing to identify and sort out

Mine is ony a 1.8 carb but had a similar problem. Guessing it was to do with the dreaded pierburg carb..... Stripped it rebuilt it, got a replacement still no luck. spent a bloody fortune. Gave up in the end and put a 2l 16v in her in the end.

OK, if you suspect the fuel pump relay, try shorting it. Does it stay on?

Good news is that diagnosing a DX engine is loads easier than G60 or more modern engines, as it's got no nasty electronics :-)

I take it that during the first 2 minutes the idel stays constant at somewhere around 950 rpm? Could be that after 2 minutes or so the aux air valve closes and the engine may not get enough air, so idle screw time.

But try shorting the fuel pump relay first.

When you say the fifth injector works, you've also checked that it stops squirting after the engine has fired (strictly speaking either when the engine's hot it shouldn't even come on, or shut off after 8 seconds - imprinted on the thermotime-switch)?

Tempest

I'm ssuspecting the fuel pump relay purely because I couldn't hear the typical relay "click" when turning the ignition on and the engine over

Not checked that the fifth injector stops squirting, after initially starting it and then it dying I couldn't get it to re-start and then had to go out.

Stupid question but where will I find the aux air valve?

Think the aux air valve is fixed behind the inlet manifold?

Warmup regulator might be another thing to check. The cold start injector will get the engine fired up but if the warmup reg is faulty it won't keep running.

Fuel pump relay is very common, you can stick a cable tie in it to hold the contacts closed and prove this.