Sign in to follow this  
veedub

Made an uprated head lamp loom and I'v lost my side lights

I made a twin relay headlamp loom just before christmas and it works perfectly boosting both dipped and main beams - however I have lost my side lights!!

I have disconnected the Dim-dip coil but this has made no difference, any ideas whats causing this??

This is the loom have made:

What about the sidelight wires?

To each 4 pin plug there is a thin grey/red wire which connects just to the sidelight bulb.... I've got little wires running from my original loom plugs to the headlights for the sidelight...

What about the sidelight wires?

To each 4 pin plug there is a thin grey/red wire which connects just to the sidelight bulb.... I've got little wires running from my original loom plugs to the headlights for the sidelight...

I didnt touch any of that circut, just the feed for the dip and main beam so im not sure about that.

The loom I made is exactly the same as the one I bought for my old Rado and I fitted it in exactly the same way, hence why i'm confused!! :scratch:

How does the uprated loom fit to the headlights? Did you just cut the dip beam and main beam wires into the OE plugs and solder the new loom onto those wires?

Sounds stupid, but have the sidelight bulbs gone, what about the sidelight fuse?

For reference and you probably know this already,, each headlamp has 4 wires running into it

Brown, earth

Grey/red, sidelight, opposite corner to earth

Yellow, Dip beam

White main beam.

How does the uprated loom fit to the headlights? Did you just cut the dip beam and main beam wires into the OE plugs and solder the new loom onto those wires?

Thats basically it yeah!, Are the sidelights on a different fuse? I didnt think about checking that, muppet!

*puts shoes on and heads outside*

EDIT - Just checked the owners manual, sidelights and tail lights are on the same fuse. My tail lights are working properly so it cant be the fuse! Doh!

Hmmm.... That's a bit wierd then... I'd have a quick check of the bulbs, or at least try the voltage at the plug to the sidelight to make sure the wires haven't been broken somewhere...

Hmmm.... That's a bit wierd then... I'd have a quick check of the bulbs, or at least try the voltage at the plug to the sidelight to make sure the wires haven't been broken somewhere...

Yeah that my next port of call but I will be very surprised if both bulbs have gone.

The switch is fine because if I plug the Dim-dip coil back in the headlights come on in the sidelight position as well as the headlight position.

I have also tried bypassing the dim dip coil by touching the two feed terminals together with a length of copper wire. this just turns the headlights on in the sidelight switch position.

Im getting a headache, thinking about this far too much!!

Have you completely lost your sidelights when the headlight switch is in its "middle" position or is it switching on the dip beam? (like when the dim dip resistor was in circuit?)

Andy.

Have you completely lost your sidelights when the headlight switch is in its "middle" position or is it switching on the dip beam? (like when the dim dip resistor was in circuit?)

Andy.

With the dim dip coil disconnected and the switch in the middle position there are no lights whatsoever.

With the dim dip coil connected and the switch in the middle position the dip beam is on.

Any ideas?

Don't worry about the dim dip coil (Resistor).

All it does is connect to the dipped beam loom between the switch and the new relays, the idea is in OE looms a smaller voltage runs to the dipped beam bulbs and they glow dimly. When you uprate the loom, the current that they pass is high enough to switch your new relay(s) so the dipped beam gets the full voltage from the battery.

If you were to connect the resistor to the loom after the new relays, the dipped beam bulbs would glow dimly...

Anyway, it's not connected to the sidelight bulbs or thier part of the loom.

Don't worry about the dim dip coil (Resistor).

All it does is connect to the dipped beam loom between the switch and the new relays, the idea is in OE looms a smaller voltage runs to the dipped beam bulbs and they glow dimly. When you uprate the loom, the current that they pass is high enough to switch your new relay(s) so the dipped beam gets the full voltage from the battery.

If you were to connect the resistor to the loom after the new relays, the dipped beam bulbs would glow dimly...

Anyway, it's not connected to the sidelight bulbs or thier part of the loom.

Take the power feed from the output side of the dim dip resistor?

Is that what you mean?

Nah, just ignore the the dim dip resistor entirely, it provides a nice little function, which isn't entirely neccessary. A bit like makeup on a girl, makes them look pretty, but it doesn't help with the washing up....

There is a seperate feed to the sidelight bulbs from the first position of the switch, this looks to be ok as your rear lights work...

Have you tried your multimeter on the loom yet?

Nah, just ignore the the dim dip resistor entirely, it provides a nice little function, which isn't entirely neccessary. A bit like makeup on a girl, makes them look pretty, but it doesn't help with the washing up....

There is a seperate feed to the sidelight bulbs from the first position of the switch, this looks to be ok as your rear lights work...

Have you tried your multimeter on the loom yet?

:lol: :lol: :lol:

In havent tested the loom yet as im stuck in work, what part of the loom do you suggest I test?

If I remember correctly I have not touched any of the wiring that feeds the sidelights, so in theory just disconnecting the dim dip resistor should do the job (as it did on my previous rado!). Is it likely the BOTH bulbs have blown simultaneously just after I finished making the loom coz Im all out of ideas?!?

Well, both bulbs could have gone a long time back, but with the dim dipped beam you'd not have noticed, unless you left the lights on with the key out.

I'd take the connector off the back of the headlamps and test between the sidelight and the earth for 12v with the light switch in the first position, ignition off.

Well, both bulbs could have gone a long time back, but with the dim dipped beam you'd not have noticed, unless you left the lights on with the key out.

I'd take the connector off the back of the headlamps and test between the sidelight and the earth for 12v with the light switch in the first position, ignition off.

Thats a chuffing good point! Good thinking batman!

Will get my multimeter out tonight and get testing!

Thats a chuffing good point! Good thinking batman!

Will get my multimeter out tonight and get testing!

I'm not just a pretty face..... :-P

disconnect the yellow plug should be in between the battery and the wing.. that should do the trick

disconnect the yellow plug should be in between the battery and the wing.. that should do the trick

That wasn't the problem. His issue is (was?) that the sidelights wouldn't illuminate when he had the light switch in the first position. He had already disconnected the yellow wire so that the dipped beam lights did not illuminate when the light switch was in the sidelight/dim dip position.