Sign in to follow this  
mambomonkey

What oil in G60?

Doing an oil change and just bought some mobil1 motorsort formula 15W50. Thought this would be good because its thick enough (15) for when the engine's cold but can take hard driving when warm (50). What oil do the rest of you use?

Qantum Synter Siler - Was reccomneded o me by the holy grail that is Jabbasport.

Vw own brand.

Depends what motor youve got though? G60? like mine?

For the last couple of years I've been used synta gold in my G60. Before that I used Mobile 1 for 3 years.

ive used a few types.

magnatec

synta

comma

duckhams

ive not seen much of a difference between them all. they all burn and go black eventually.

there are some oils that can cause oil pressure issues and pressure does vary between them slightly but never had a issue with any of the above. some are cheap too (comma)

im gonna try motal 15 50 or 5 50. my subaru mates use this stuff in their cars which run more boost. its been run in sunny GTi rs too which ive seen the oil from.

it does seem to hold its colour lots longer whereas the 10 40 goes burnt lots easier. it is more expensive though.

15 50 motal was put into the gti-r which runs 400hp +nos and the day after it went to york dragway. pulled a 13.1 no nos. when it got back theoil was still golden so it must be ok on the razz. ill price it before i buy(cos im skint and tight) and let you lot know how i get on.

I always use silver synta too, especially as it's only £9 a go. I even managed to get it from my dealer for £6 last time !!!

I always use silver synta too, especially as it's only £9 a go. I even managed to get it from my dealer for £6 last time !!!

I know I've got a 16v not a G60, but I use Synta silver too, IMO fully synthetic is only worthwhile if you keep it in the car long enough to justify it's long life properties and cost. It might be a bit easier on cranking when it's -10 outside in the morning but I've used mobil 1 and magnatec and have not really noticed the difference.

I'd say use synta silver and change it every 5-6000 miles

David.