Sign in to follow this  
joelgti

G60 - Strange vibration noise at 2500rpm?

After a long drive in the G (approx 100 miles) on the motorway, the car makes a strange rattling/vibrating noise when accelerating through about 2500rpm. This happens in every gear at the same revs, it sounds like it is coming from the manifold area (guess) but not being too technically minded I'm not sure. Engine performance seems unaffected.

Car is a tuned G60, SNS, 68mm pulley, etc.. Last charger service carried out 2004. Does anyone have any ideas or experience of this problem, or how to possibly fix this.

Thanks

big end bearings?? rattle about 2500 rpm light throtle, can be heard if you listen under the bonnet sounds like its coming from mid block area

Most likely to be the heatshield on the bottom of the cat - it resonates up and sounds like it's comeing from inside the engine

just get a massive jubilee clip round it....

Thanks guys - can't actually feel the vibrations in the cabin - just hear them. It's a metallic type noise - could well be the heatshield. I'll check this out. Don't think its the big end bearings as the previous owner stripped the engine down and had a thorough check. (@150K) The car may have had a hard life anyway - found out it was a Stealth demonstrator at some point in it life! Red G60 H474 SNT if anyone knows about it.

Cheers

Isn't that Shilkadaddy's old car, the ex-Stealth motor? The one thats currently gracing the top of the Corrado Forum today! :)

That's mine alright! Nice to know the car is well known on the forum!

It's got some smaller BBS 16" wheels now, and the lip spoiler thingy isn't on. Paintwork is surprisingly strong - not too faded. It would be nice to know what sort of power its putting out now - I guess a bit less than in those days but you never know. I'll post some piccies of the current status when the weather brightens up - not planning to modify really, just keep it running sweet.

Thats Grahams old car - first Corrado with the TT wiper conversion...

Hard life - it may have been thrashed (Graham is a mentalist driver) but he would have warmed it up and it was looked after very well...

I would say rear engine mount. Check underneath the car at the bottom of the downpipe n see if there is any marking, probably rubbing on power steering pipes.