Sign in to follow this  
mbradbrook

VR6 Misfire

Afternoon all,

Just taken the Corrado out after about 4 weeks. The car was fine on the way to Sainsburys but after leaving the car and coming back 10 minutes later the car had developed a misfire. The idle is lumpy and the car doesn't want to accelerate very well. I'm suspecting the coilpack which i have just removed. Its the original 1995 one (it has the date on it). Does this sound like the most likely cause?

Also where is the best place to buy one?

Cheers

Matt

If its the original coilpack from 1995 (same as mine) it is bound to be about to fail or is already failing. I would replace it anyway, even tho it may not be the cause of the problem. (Unlikely to be the sole cause of your problem if when you went out in it the weather was dry. If it was wet, though......)

Put coilpack and arcing in "search" to find loads written about VR6 coilpack.

VAG prices are over £200 IIRC.

Get one from Eurocarparts or similar - much cheaper.

I don't really know much about the coil pack etc but you could check the spark plugs, ours gets funny every now and then, plugs 1&6 get a bit oily but we put new ones in and bob's your uncle (for another 6 months) :)

I don't really know much about the coil pack etc but you could check the spark plugs, ours gets funny every now and then, plugs 1&6 get a bit oily but we put new ones in and bob's your uncle (for another 6 months) :)

that cant be to good, surely something going wrong if your changing them every 6 months!

EDIT: If you can get a BERU one as they are an OEM

Yes, think it need valve stem seals (or whatever they're called) doing but that is a little more costly than a few spark plugs every now and then :)

Thanks for the replies. I've just gone ahead and ordered a coilpack from VWspares - thanks for the link. VW wanted £165+vat.

I ran a diagnostics test as well and it came up with the usual fault of fuel pump relay. The car has always had this fault and i've even replaced the relay - any ideas what this means?

If the coil pack doesn't do the trick i suppose i'll change the HT leads next.

Cheers

Matt

VW wanted £165+vat.

They have put this down - I am sure I was quoted about £230 including VAT about 2 or 3 years ago.

AVS - seems best, as suggested by Dogzyboy.

VW wanted £165+vat.

They have put this down - I am sure I was quoted about £230 including VAT about 2 or 3 years ago.

AVS - seems best, as suggested by Dogzyboy.

yeah they did used to be more! VW Come down in price shocker!!! :lol:

i had a heavy missfire on mine new coil pack fixed it but i had new ht leads spark plugs and a breather hose broke sucking a load of oil into the engine i have the same spark plug problem as you blackcat i was told its more than likely a leak in the bottom and i would need a new engine at the minute its fine slight missfire but i still pulls alot also i was told the K&N induction kit is too small for a vr6 this is by tsr performance so got a bigger one on root

Just an update. New coilpack arrived from VWspares today - very good service. Fitted it this afternoon and the car is back to normal :D . Thanks for all the advice.

Cheers

Matt