Sign in to follow this  
Critical_Mass

VR- Weird noise

Hi all,

Ive noticed a whining niose coming from somewhere, I cant tell where the source of the sound exactly is. All i can say is that when im driving it seems to be coming from the passenger side of the car. The only way i can describe it as is like a wind noise, like when a strong wind is going through a passage way, a howling noise. With windows open its no louder. However, sometimes its louder then other times. I've tried putting the clutch down at speed to see if it quitens down or goes completely when the engine revs lower, but still no change. It becomes more apparent at higher speeds, not present when stationary or going along in traffic. I was thinking maybe its a wheel bearing as i also get a squeek sometimes when i set off from standing, but goes after a second or two.

What you think?

Cheers

That's what i thought. I recently had 2 new front tyres fitted and the garage didnt say there was any play in either of the wheels. Is a wheel bearing easy to DIY?

That's what i thought. I recently had 2 new front tyres fitted and the garage didnt say there was any play in either of the wheels. Is a wheel bearing easy to DIY?

I believe front ones needs to be pressed in so a garage job unless you have a press?

Had one done on mine, hub off job and press out/in as above, then wheel alignment will need doing again after disconnecting the suspension. Driveshaft hub nuts are done up well tight too so best undone with a garage air ratchet to shock it undone. Think it cost me about £70 for the garage to do it, money well spent as far as I was concerned.

New tyres? Are they the same brand as what you had on before?

Having driven for over 40 years, I have noticed that when you become familiar with any car you drive, you hear slightly different sounds right away. Always trust your own senses about differences in your car's behaviour.

A garage man I knew confirmed that the owner of a car would, indeed, hear and feel unusual sounds and handling before he would, as mechanics drive so many different vehicles, they have no "normal" behaviour to compare with.

Different tyres (in my case a pair of Uniroyal after years of Michelin) made the Peugeot sound different. However, when I ran over stretches of different, smoother road surface, the noise disappeared and I then realised that the road noise from the new tyres was the different sound I was hearing.

If not tyres, could be wheel bearing. I had to take a car to my garage twice insisting that a slight rumbly noise had developed - I could hear it, they could not.

Second time, mechanic suspected wheel bearing, they were changed and the noise had disappeared!

Cheers for the input craigowl. They are indeed a different brand of tyres, but as said above the noise seems to come and go. At the moment the noise cannot be heard, sometimes the noise is quiet and other the noise is noticeably louder. Ill get the car jacked up and on the stands and see if there's any play in either of the the wheels.

So (possibly jumping the gun here) say it isnt the wheel bearings, any thing else that could be suspect?