Sign in to follow this  
dnac

Timing advice on a 2ltr 16v

Just finished bolting my rado back together after a Head gasket change, I am sure I got all the bits back in the right place, but Unless I turn the Distributor all the way clockwise, the car will not start and does not have any power.

It seems to me that i may have got it a tooth out on the cam belt, but am wondering which way.

When I put it back together I set no1 piston to tdc, and had the cams set with the timing marks facing each other.

Is this right?

The passat manual I bought is vague on the subject to say the least. Can anyone help me please

sounds right but they are a pain to get right. Your having to advance the dizzy to get it running so id suggest your a tooth out.

Undo tensioner, slip 1 tooth round and do back up again

Finnally got it running, It was a tooth out, I think it may need to still move a bit as the distributor is still further advanced than it was when I removed it.

What I need to know now is how I fine tune it, There does not seem to be any marks to enable me to use a timing light on it, can anyone help please?

Finnally got it running, It was a tooth out, I think it may need to still move a bit as the distributor is still further advanced than it was when I removed it.

What I need to know now is how I fine tune it, There does not seem to be any marks to enable me to use a timing light on it, can anyone help please?

mark the plastic cam belt cover arrow with white paint/tippex and the small notch in the side of the bottom v belt pulley (the big inner one), if you're worried about the exact timing point, line them up by turning the engine over with a socket on the crank pulley bolt and look in the timing hole on the top of the gearbox. This has a TDC and 6 degrees advance mark and a 'v' notch in the gearbox casing. This mark is just more difficult to get at with the strobe light.

Thanks for that, I will have a look, but could not see an arrow on the timing case. I'll have a closer look

Im fairly sure that you just need to place the dizzy back to its correct starting position on the 2l as it will adjust the timing from this base point. If its to far one way or the other it can not fully compensate as it only has something like 10 degrees of adjustment or something like that.

basically get everything in the right place and its all good in my experiance

a timing light to set the dizzy to about 6-8 degrees will normally give you a good base timing.

good luck.