Sign in to follow this  
CaptainSTORM

Audio up grade, advice required!!!

First of all, Hello to everybody! I a new to the forum, and new to corrados having recently bought a mystic blue storm! :D

Secondly, I am after some advice concerning up-grading the ICE in the car and have a few questions for all you people in the know!! I am not after a nightclub on wheels, just a good quality system. My main concern is to keep everything looking standard, in my eyes the car is perfect so I don’t want to modify it, or at least not be able to put it back to standard! I am a competent mechanic but never really attempted fitting stereo equipment, though I have got two friends that have fitted loads and they are happy to help me!

I have got some equipment already which I am hoping will be suitable. They are as follows:-

• Head unit- Alpine CDA-9857R with the ipod connection unit.

• Amp- Alpine V12 MRV-F357 50wx4 channel + 1 channel150w RMS 14.4v.

• Sub- 10 inch JL audio.

• Rear speakers- 4x6 JBL gto6426e 40w rms.

I have bought the JBL rear speakers under the impression that they will drop straight in without modification, am I correct to assume this?

Now I need some sound for the front of the car! I have read a few posts on the forum and it looks like the only way to go is the audioscape front pods! How much are they? I noticed that there was a group buy being organised, does anyone know if this is still happening? Assuming I get some pods, will they fit without modification to the door cards? Do they look standard? Also can someone recommend a good component/tweeter set?

With the component set fitted what happens to the dash speakers? Should I remove these to fit the tweeters? Or keep them running from the head unit?

Thanks in advance for any of my questions answered or any other advice you may wish to forward!

Olly.

The "e" means they are metric, which means theoretically they should drop right in. In practise, the magnets are usually too large and you may have to do some trimming. I run the dash speakers and rear's as highs, the doors as mids.

Get some Audioscape pods (normally about £180) stick some good components like Focal/Hertz/Seas etc in them running off an amp (genesis/audison/Alpine v12) and it'll be all good!

Get yerself some door pods and stick Alpine speakers in them - i got a full alpine setup in my car and it sounds sweet, after all, they are all designed to work together. (I used to have some Kenwood 6x9s and they sounded poo). I would probably leave the tweeters in place, but disconnect them, as u'll be running two sets of speakers (doors and tweets) from one output (fronts) and won't get the best sound. If your mids are good enough they'll have a decent high end anyway.

Aftermarket door pods are definitely the way forward, I haven't got some yet, but will eventually, as the stock pods do hold my comps no favours. I wouldn't use any of the stock speaker wiring, running something decent isn't hard. Get components, put the mid/bass drivers in the pods, put the tweeters in the dash (you can remove the stock tweeters from their plastic housing and drill it to take the component tweet) and hide the crossovers somewhere. I put mine inside the kickpanels, but I think if you've got ABS at least one of these spaces contains the ABS ECU, so you might have to hide them in the dash somewhere. The corrado dash is fairly roomy for hiding ice/alarm/etc. gubbins. Just watch out for the glovebox being a pain to remove!

There's a knack to removing the glovebox ;-)

Everything that's been said so far is bang on and the Audioscape door pods are a must. You want OE? Well 'scape's pods are BETTER than OE, way better. 10 times as rigid, better finished and hold those woofers solidly for superior sound.....and if that wasn't enough, they can take a 6.5" speaker too.

Yes some minor modification required to the door cards, but the old pods will cover up the evidence should you remove them later on.

Tweeters. For best results, run them out of phase and tilted toward the centre of the screen. This avoids having to use time correction, which over processes the sound and ruins it.

You really need to damp the door skins with dynamat type stuff aswell, otherwise bass depth suffers.

Ring James at Scape, I'm sure he'll sort you out as we are really good customers of theirs.

no need for rears , i've got focal comps in audioscape pods and a sub with the doors, quarters and boot dynamatted and it sounds sweet

as kev says give jim a ring at audioscape , he knows his stuff and he will take time to talk you through it

In my experience pods don't really do that much for the sound as such, over reinforcing the standard pod, unless you're doing sound off competitions? Although of course you can get larger speaker sizes in a custom pod.

All my previous cars have had door pods of all descriptions, and this time with the Corrado I went for reinforcing the back of the standard pod to keep it all standard looking inside. I found the sound was identicle from using the same speakers (JL components) in custom pods on a previous car to putting them a reinforced standard pod.

Its all about making sure the mount is as rigid/and solid as possible (of course fibre glass is more rigid than basic plastics!)

Although custom pods do look the business!

Thats just my opinion based on my own experiences though!