Sign in to follow this  
JBOB

Top Mounts

I think my top mounts might be shot :roll:

Driving down the road the front of the car feels really vague and makes a clunk sounds like something is loose !!!!!! Its been getting worse over the last few days so ive had the front jacked up today and checked all the bolts to see if anything is loose but all seems ok.

When the top mounts are attached to the top of the strut should it be able to wobble side to side a few mm cos mine are :roll:

I know my top mounts are old and I was gonna change them soon but does it sound like they have gone ????? Also can I use VR6 top mounts as replacements ??

Cheers

they shouldnt wobble to much, mine are really bad and wobbled loads when the car is jacked up, im guna do them in the week.

not sure if the vr ones would fit?

VR ones are fine no problems at all as all the Corrados use the same inner structural wing. The outer wings do differ but it is not a problem.

Make sure you get new bearing bushes too, the earlier mount has these built in but the VR setup it is a separate item.

Oh and to be really anal they are not VR top mounts, late 16v and 8v 'rados had the same top mounts as standard too.

Thanks guys ill get some new ones tomorrow :D

What would the car feel like if the top mounts were shot as I cant find anything else wrong and im not 100% sure that its going to be them :lol:

Hi!

I had the same problem a month or so ago...so swapped them over and found that my old top mounts were totally fubared. (all the ball bearings fell off one when I took it off the strut!)

This is the thread...

http://www.the-corrado.net/.archive/forum/viewtopic.php?t=51092

No i've also found that my engine mounts are shot too, but the top mounts were definitely causing a large amount of problems!

Ive been out and got some new top mounts this morning and when I took the old ones off I got a bit of a shock. Old on left brand new on right :wink:

0002Medium.jpg

:shock:

I think they are knackered but TBH ive no idea what’s damaged them round the edges like that !!!!!!!!!!

The bearings seem ok though but I haven’t put the new ones on yet so I dont know if they were the problem

I have got a knocking noise from the back of the car when i go over a slight bump in the road. The car still handles fine. Could it be top mounts?

Is there a way of checking them before buying new ones?

you should be ashamed

I am :oops:

Decided against the VR route then?

They didnt have any in stock and i had to get the car to the MOT at 4 :roll:

PS- It passed 8) 8) 8)