Sign in to follow this  
Concept-e

Misfire/Running issues!

Right, i was driving down the A2 today for say 10 minutes, car driving lovely. Then as i came off the slip road and stopped i noticed the car was running very lumpy. As i pulled away it was really chugging, under-powered and backfiring.

Now ive had a similar problem on polos in the past, basically they werent firing properly on one cylinder. A new set of plugs and leads normally solves it. Being the weekend VW parts dept. aren't open so any parts buying will have to wait until monday. But i thought id get some opinions on what it could be. The leads look brand new and ive been told they were bought very recently.

The car has run fine for a week or two, prior to that it cut out when reversing out of my drive and wouldn't start. After the breakdown guy gave it some juice on the accelerator pedal (i didnt want to over do it when it cut out incase i flooded the engine), it tried to start and eventually did. I thought the problem had resolved itself, maybe the battery for example. But today's events have proved otherwise.

To me it seems maybe the ignition side of things. Im positive i heard the fuel pump whirring as normal. Im going to change the dizzy cap and rotor arm monday as they seem a bit pitted and the contacts aren't great. But is it worth me looking at anything else in the meantime??

Any help greatly appreciated,

Steve

Fuel filter. Just changed the one on my new VR (which had been Kangarooing) and it must have been the original one- looked like it was growing out from under the car, it was so rusty. No more kangarooing now :)

More than likely the hall sender inside the dizzy and as these are tricky to replace a new dizzy makes the most sense (051 905 237 X) and they cost £93.38 inc. VAT from any VW dealer and include a Bosch cap and rotor.

More than likely the hall sender inside the dizzy and as these are tricky to replace a new dizzy makes the most sense (051 905 237 X) and they cost £93.38 inc. VAT from any VW dealer and include a Bosch cap and rotor.

Try GSF, may be cheaper!

EDIT - looks to be 75 squid on gsf.