Sign in to follow this  
camper driver

Have I bent a valve VR6

Ok getting closer to my previous problem. Ive replaced head gasket, but when I set the timing I didnt realise you had to take into account the intermediate sprocket.

Ok Ive now set the timing how it should be but I,m still getting knocking from the top end of the engine.

The timing will have been 1 tooth out on each camshaft.

Is this enough to bend a valve?

If the intermediate sprocket was out it would make no differance at all.it just drives the oil pump,but having one tooth out either way could very much bent a valve or nicked one,best do a commpression test,you will tell straight away if you have a bent valve.

Does the engine run rough? pull one lead off with a well insulated pair of pliers ! and see if the engine tone dropes the same with each one removed and refitted,if no differance on pulling one of the leads off again i would suspect that cylinder.

Thanks Next step to do a compression test. Just for info ive learned the hard way. Middle sprocket timing setup does make a differance on the vr6. Timing mark appears every 2nd rotation of the crank. this is due to odd differance in teeth on input / output centre sprockets.