Sign in to follow this  
flusted

DIY g60 flowed head

Im tempted to have a go at flowing a g60 head.

Questions are, if i go bigger valves, whats involved in fitting them and where do you get them from?

Also whats the difference between g60 head and mk2 golf gti digi head?

Thanks in advance

Fitting larger exhaust valves (forget the inlets) is serious work as it means new valve seats. These are made from incredibly hard metal and the whole job of insertion should be left to a qualified machine shop. The porting itself after the insertion is easy if tedious (with a good die grinder and very large capacity compressor) and porting kits are available from companies like Frost. 35-mm exhaust valves are easy to get from a number of VW tuners.

any idea of machine shop costs and valve costs?

Will a gti golf head fit and work or do they not flow aswell?

the gti uses a different head, it has the the compression in the head. where as the g60's have the compression in the piston. ( i think thats right)

the self porting head. i woundn't waste my time. it is an art. once you bought all the correct dies and compressors etc talking loads of cash.

the 35mm exhaust valve can be bought from trs, they are expensive and can only be fitting by someone who knows how. the head will need machining. then a hardend valve seat presed in. then cut to fit the new valves. if you ask any one who's been porting heads. it takes years to master the art and even then it is impossible to get every port the same. they will all flow slightly different. the only way to get a decent porting is using the new cnc porting. this ensure the porting is exactly the same and give the most performance improvement. hence why g60 are making 250bhp now-a-days compaired to the 225.

if you want to speak to a very good porter. try keith at rpm in kent. he did my head. and inc 35mm exhaust valves. i had photos of the work done. and i even have the head for sale... cost me over a grand once every thing is bought. valves, guides gaskets , labour

. as for diy head porting. if you've got the tools and time. try it out. nothing to loose. but dont expect good results.

I'll add a vote of confidence in for Keith at RPM... the head he did for J-DUB was very, very good and the only reason I got rid of it was due to the advent of the CNC heads G-Werks now offer which are simply better than someone can do by hand... 8)