Sign in to follow this  
_Monkey

Help needed- Mk4 Head Unit Code problems! :?

I got a Mk4 Gamma head Unit for the Raddo yesterday (don't ask!), but every time I entered the supplied code, it just came up with "safe" and a little number came un in the display, I stopped at 2 as I didn't want to lock the thing out! I told the guy I'd bought it off of via ebay and he said hes 110% sure the code is correct and there's an order to decode it using the ignition.

So can anyone please tell me how to unlock a Gamma head Unit? :? :?

Hi mate according to my MKIV handbook this is how to unblock the radio

"Turn on the radio and the word safe will appear.

1000 will appear in the display after a 3 seconds.

If however Safe is still showing and a small 2 is in the left of the display,the radio is blocked!

The radio must be left switched on for one hour to lift this block.

Input the code number using the station buttons.Use button 1 to input the first digit,button 2 to input the second and so on.

then press either the search or the manual setting rocker switch for longer than 2 seconds.Release button!

A frequency will be shown automatically shortly after the correct code has been input.

Hopefully this will work for you.

This is straight from the handbook so it should be right enough !!!

Thanks mate, I'll give it another go tonight.

Thing is, I inputted the code like you discribed but when I held down the search button, Safe was displayed again and the number appeared!

Ther guy mentioned something to do with the ignition as well :?

Ahh well, I'll try again if all I have to do is leave it an hour.

Cheers

Dave

Thing is, I inputted the code like you discribed but when I held down the search button, Safe was displayed again and the number appeared!

Which would lead me to think you're either not inputting it correctly (I take it it appears correctly on the LCD screen?) or you have the wrong code..

Also, the Gamma is wired up the VW way with ignition and permnament live, - which may have been swapped to the 'standard' way if you've had a 3rd party stereo in there in the past.

The stereo should turn off when you turn off the ignition, and then you should be able to turn it on manually again with the ignition completely off. If it's not doing that - you've got the lives round the wrong way.

I'm starting to think I have the wrong code, as I can input it fine, but as soon as I do, "safe" comes up again.

I've looked out a pin out diagram and can't figure out what some of the wires are, and chance anyone could help?

VW_GAMMA_Radio_Wiring.jpg

Any ideas what S-Cont, K-Bus and GA (also Gala) are?

I know one of them has to be the speed sensor and another is a lead to communicate with the ECU, but I'm not 100% sure.

Cheers

Dave

K-Bus: to ECU on newer cars

GALA: speed sensitve wire for auto-adjustment of volume

S-Kont: don't know, but may be for steering wheel controls?

The other plugs are for CD-Changer and RCA-out adapter (yes, you can get front/rear RCA outs on it too!)

I have a cable for that if you need it...

Thanks, that kills off a couple of problems. :)

The bottom middle connector controls the steering wheel controls, so S-kont is still a mystery.

I'm very interested in the rca outputs (they also include a remote lead, which is nice of VW!)

I'm also interested in getting hold of an I Pod interface for the changer controls...hence putting a standard VW tape player into a 1991 Corrado :wink:

Ok, worked it out now.

S-Kont connects to the ignition switch so the stereo stays on until you actually remove the key. On Mk4's this is different to the normal accessory position.

Ahhh!!!

That may explain why it isn't taking the code, it thinks the key isn't in!

If I take it high, it'll think the key is always in...maybe.

What do you think?

Maybe, connect it up to the ignition live and see... ;)

ring your local vw dealer and give them your reg number.... they should give you the radio code with some persuasion..... and if that codes doesnt work you'll need to pull the stereo out and see what the serial number is.... call em and they'll sort you out... i had the same prob on my mk4 stereo, i think it's cheeky garages swapping good stereos for bad... etc.... cheeky gits!

The standard VW units need 2 permanent feeds and 1 "S" contact or Switched feed. if you have it wired up correctly when you switch it on it should say "SAFE" then change to "1000".

This is when you enter your code using the preset 1 button on the radio to change the first number, the no. 2 preset button to change the second number and so on. When you have done this push and hold the foward search button and it should then say "learn".

If it says "SAFE" still and a "1" in the corner the code is wrong and you get 1 more go before the radio locks up.

Let me know how you get on because i can possibly get you the code for it.

Kevin