mr.ots

Why does my gearstick vibrate?

Ok no comedy answers please.

When I pull away in first gear my gearstick vibrates in a back and forward motion. I've checked the engine and gearbox mounts and all seems to be ok.

Some other points i've noticed are:

1. The vibration is less prominent when the car is cold

2. I can also feel a pulsing vibration in other gears but no movement of the gearstick

3. The vibration can be intermittant where I can pull away and it happens and then when I stop the car and pull away again it is gone completely but it occurs more often than not.

I know there are one or two other forum members with the same problem at the moment so I'm hoping someone has come across it before and has the answer.

Any ideas?

Yep, I get exactly the same thing on mine - was worried by it at first, but I now think of it as a 'feature' :wink:

I asked a similar question about this on here when I bought my VR6, but no one seemed to know what I was on about

Only happens to me at slow speeds, say under 40mph

Would be nice to know what causes it :lol:

:offtopic1:

I'm mega jealous of you Storm guys - your motors are both absolute crackers! Two of the best looking Storms I've seen.

:offtopic1:

I'm mega jealous of you Storm guys - your motors are both absolute crackers! Two of the best looking Storms I've seen.

Thanks Bojmobile

I presume it vibrates so much that you can see it shaking? If you simply feel it vibrate a tiny amount, then thats probably normal. Just make sure you NEVER drive along with your hand resting on the shifter, as you'll knackers the mesh.

My Gear stick vibrates/shakes in first gear, always has, I've just got used to it, I did change the front mount which made things a bit better. I'll be changing the rear and 'box mounts soon so I'll let you know if that cures it. I had thought it could be down to the linkages, but it only does it in first...

My Gear stick vibrates/shakes in first gear, always has, I've just got used to it, I did change the front mount which made things a bit better. I'll be changing the rear and 'box mounts soon so I'll let you know if that cures it. I had thought it could be down to the linkages, but it only does it in first...

Yeah, first gear is the one that vibrates. It will be interesting to see if changing the other mounts makes any difference.

Any more suggestions?

if it's really bothering you then I could swap you for a vibration free 93 VR in Aqua Blue! :wink:

It's not bothering me quite that much :lol:

I've seen this once before and it was also on a Mystic Storm oddly enough.

I couldn't diagnose it for definite but as I said to the owner :-

It's the gearbox or the electronic 'traction control' system, think about it.....

1) Engine mounts checked and passed.

2) Only does it in 1st

3) The gearbox itself is the only thing that can transmit that kind of vibration up the cables.

Pull the box off and repair, or live with it.

Must be affected by the badges and special paint! :wink:

I couldn't diagnose it for definite but as I said to the owner :-

It's the gearbox or the electronic 'traction control' system, think about it.....

1) Engine mounts checked and passed.

2) Only does it in 1st

3) The gearbox itself is the only thing that can transmit that kind of vibration up the cables.

Pull the box off and repair, or live with it.

You may be right Kev although there is still a vibration in the other gears but the frequency is so much higher that the stick doesn't show any visual signs of movement but there is a pulsing through the stick when you rest your hand on it (steady on there fellas!).

The other strange this is that sometimes it doesn't do it at all and I can't figure out why it should be intermittant.

It's been doing it quite a while now and I'm learning to live with it.

Well if you're 100% sure the mounts are OK and you're sure nothing is touching the cables other than the gear stick and the gearbox, it can only be the gearbox I'm sorry to say.

Storms were the runouts obviously, so maybe they had a batch of duff something or others? It's certainly never afflicted any older VRs that I'm personally aware of.

My mate's mystic also had the rythmic throbbing in his shaft that you described, but I think he rather liked it actually and lived with it :-)

I could find nothing wrong with his car at all, and it had only done 33K, so it had to be a gearbox issue, so he left it.....

My old Storm used to be bad for this too but my previous Vr with twice the miles was never a problem. My current one (90k) did it a bit but I've had new bushes fitted in the selector bit (below gear stick) and new engine mounts and it's perfect now. My previous car was a 95M, this is a 95N and is only a few chassis numbers from the Storm so maybe Kev has a point re a dodgy batch of something?

I spoke to Vince about this once, out of curiousity and he didn't know either!

Defo seems to be mainly Storms though.

Maybe VW "forgot" to fit some cable bushes at the gearstick end on later cars? Wouldn't put it past them!

i have the throbbing in most gears but nothing too bad.

interested in the vibration. mine has quite a rough vibration when pulling off. not noticed the gearstick moving though. as with previous complaints, it is intermittent and i only notice it the odd time.

I put it down to my bad clutch control. maybe its something else.

its a proper love affair aint it. you think you have found the perfect one. then there is loads of tiny little things that start to really annoy you that you want to change! thats the fun i guess!!!

peace