Sign in to follow this  
black66

Strange........

Anyone experienced anything like this:

Came back to my 94 VR6 parked in town just.

De-armed alarm and unlocked as usual(VW fitment alarm).

Turned ignition, all dash illuminated as normal.

Turned to start but would not even attempt to turn over.

Attempted to start car numerous times but no luck.

Armed and disarmed alarm a few times.

Still no luck starting or turning over.

Popped the bonnet to take a look and noticed the electric water pump was spinning extremely erratically. So much so i could smell the electric motor getting hot. I disconnected the battery as the water pump was now beginning to smoke. Everytime I connected the battery the pump started spinning itself into oblivion again.

At this point I decided to give up and went back into town with a view to calling the AA.

Came back to the car 30 mins later and thought I'll have one more go of connecting the battery. This time the pump didn't make a sound, the alarm went off. I deactivated the alarm, started the car and came home.

Again ideas anyone? I don't wanna be stuck for another hour again somewhere else.

Cheers

Dave

Could be a dodgy ignition switch causing hassles... They've been known to make all sorts of weird things happen when they're failing... :? :shock:

For the £12 they cost and less than an hour on your back swearing, it's worth doing it just for the peace of mind... 8)

i think that has got more to do with the imobiliser rather than ignition switch,mine does this sometimes,i thought it was a dodgy ignition switch so i changed it,but the problem is still there,so when this happens i just use a fly wire to start the car..

Can someone explain the factory immobiliser to me?

I went to VW and they said that VR6s had immobiliser from factory but the VW alarm I have is dealer fit. :shock:

How does the immob work then?

DazzyVR6,

How do you bypass?

Dave

Oh and Henny, Wherabouts are you in SE Cheshire?

I'm from sunny (!) Congleton... Why? Are you from 'round 'ere too? :? :D

I'd forgotten that VR's had factory imobilisers... (never had a VR you see... :roll: :lol: ) IIRC there's a chip in the key that activates a sensor in the column by the key switch... It's one of those "wave the key near the correct place" systems that was aimed at the switch by the factory. (also known as a proximity activated switch! :roll: :lol: )

I'm based in Stoke-on-Trent, fluctuating betwen Newcastle, Sandbach, Barcelona, Belgium and Hungary.

I'd heard about the key chip thing before but don't knoe a lot about them.

Only had the VR for 6 weeks and been out the country for 4 of those.

I have to get a thatcham 2 immobiliser for the insurance and so the factory item might be in the bin if its causing problems.

Dave

I can heartily recommend Audiolectrics in Macclesfield for ripping out original alarms and fitting Thatcham stuff instead. They've done my last 4 cars and I've not had a problem with them once... :D They're not the cheapest place about, but they do a good job, and the price they quote IS the price you pay... No hidden extras... 8)

Stoke, Newcastle, Sandbach, Barcelona, Belgium and Hungary?!? :shock: That's some commuting you do! :lol: :p I thought 300 miles a week was a lot :? :lol:

i think they only fitted the transponder chip in 1995,to get the car going from under the bonnet,you need to look down at the starter moter solenoid,and you will see a thick red wire,dissconnct that,get a long piece of wire touch it on the terminal in the solenoid block and the other end on the live post on the battery,make sure your ignition is on and not in gear and it will fire up straight away,well mine does anyway :D