Sign in to follow this  
jonnyboyo

DRILLING THE AIRBOX

Hammer it towards the front. Not sure about the flap- can't remember what a 2.0 16v airbox is like inside! Any pics?

No pics, just a long snorkel from the front which has a flap at the end to control airflow? Then the small snorkel leading out to go to the throttle body. The flap links up to the throttle body, it doesn't move when reving... Just restricts airflow... I figured it would open on throttle but nope.

that flap allows warm air to be ducted from an exhaust shield during warm up.

i'm with you. drilled airbox sounds great for a reason, its letting induction impulses escape rather than reflecting them back into the system to assist cylinder charging.

i think our resident meteorologist craigowl made the point that 40-50cm above a tarmac road is usually the warmest air layer, so worth conidering what height that 'cold' air duct is placed! :)

Just knock the long snorkel out forwards with a hammer.

Anyone happen to know what diameter cold air feed i need to make a snug fit into the snorkel's former hole? Or am i best off cutting a new one as per image above?

Was thinking of running the cold air feed to somewhere near ground level but then realised that if i go through a large puddle.....

I personally dont think you'll notice any difference by drilling or not drilling the airbox tbh unless your cars been tuned a fair bit. It does sound awesome though, i for one much prefer induction roar to exhaust noise, sound is nicer to my ears plus with the drilled box unless you've got your foot past half way-ish it doesnt add much extra noise at all... plant your foot down though and it sounds awesome...

Just my 2pence, i personally found no difference between a K&N panel filter, stock filter and stroeve induction kit either. The drilled box was actually noisier than the stroeve cone.

i've got a standard airbox for my VR, and a drilled one also, run both with a k and n panel, and dont notice the diff really? However, the sound from a non drilled airbox, is a much smoother, and subtl - almost luxury sound, compared with the aggressive, angry - awesome sound of a drilled one.

Depens where im going, if i go on hols in the C, i have changed it over to the non drilled one, so its quieter on long journeys, but i do miss the sound now i havent driven her in a while:-(

Personally i think my valver sounds gorgeous when the pedal is to the floor

agreed the note change after 4k is lovely and it makes you SOUND like your going fast :lol:

+1

3rd gear at 4,000 revs sounds pretty damn sweet to me!!!