Sign in to follow this  
Fingers

Paint Job

I have a rather sorry looking 2.0L 16V silver C,

But I love the car and it is a long term project to get it back to better shape. There is some rust along the front of the bonnet, the offside wing (around the light) and the back panel.

The car has been painted in the past, and the rust has obviously set in. If I get it done again it will only be a matter of time before it comes back.

So getting to the point... The rear panel - the one the badges are on can it be replaced, or is it a mojor welding job? And any tips on how to take of the wing and bonnet also appreciated!

:help: :help: :help: :help: :help: :help: :help: :help: :help: :help: :help: :help:

Go on, give me the benifit of their vast Rado knowledge....

you could get a replacement panel or sand the rust down and see the exstent

then judge for your self how you want to go ,if was me i think i would replace the whole panel at least you have piece of mind as long as you get a good garage to put panel on properly and treated

dont know to be honest i would go to a bodyshop they will tell best route to take plus costing then at least you can decide if its something you want to take on

Hi Fingers

iv done a bit of bodywork on cars before and by no means would consider myself anything more than an amateur but am curious if your planning on handling this yourself?

If so i think you need to follow doms advice and you got to find out how bad the damage is, so you need to take off the rear badge, scrape away all that surface damage and then sand it back to good metal before you can decide to repair or replace. From the looks of the pics you may be catching this in time (JUST) and might not need to replace the whole panel and i think you will prob be able to cut away the bad metal, weld a new piece in and work from there, but i dont think you can be sure of this untill you work out the extent of the damage.

If your not planning on doing this yourself then dont take it back to the place the respray was done because all the damage on the rear panel is where they have not properly sealed where the badge goes into the back panel and that why all this rust has come up here, and possibly on the offside wing too!

^^What he said. You might find that you can get away with sanding it down, then stick some rust remover on there, I've found the hammerite stuff works best, and it smells nice too :wink:

To be honest though, It looks like you're gonna find a few holes in there, so you're probably looking at replacing it. I've not looked, but I'd imagine it's spot welded in at the sides and down the bottom. I'm sure someone can shed some light on that. Try and find a little local bodyshop, the bigger ones that do insurance claims tend to be very expensive.

For what it's worth, That picture of your badge looks quite cool in an odd sort of way :lol:

Dunno about removing wings, I should think it's just bolts, but the bonnet is really simple. Just unplug the washers and undo the 4 nuts attaching the brackets to the bonnet. Make sure you've got someone to help you move it, and some sort of blanket on the floor to put it on. I'm sure I don't need to tell you, it's big and pretty heavy.

Thanks guys.

Been doing a but of digging around for local body shops, (just moved to new area of Glasgowe) and I think I have found a small local guy.

He comes highly recomended - by one of our new neighbours down the road, who is a traffic cop, and I just found out he is the brother of somebody I know at work!

The wings have 4 bolts along the top, 1 behind the bumper at the front, 1 under a black cap(you will see it when u open door, below where top of wing ,meets a pillar), has 1 underneath bottom of wing and also 1 covered in selant behind the inner arch behind the side repeater.

I just bought a G60 which both front wings were rotten so they came off... :D

Mine's going in exactly the same place - around the Corrado badge on the rear. It's nowhere near as bad as your's Fingers, but it's swelling up from under the paint. Does anyone know what's best to do. My thought was take the badge off, Hammerite and then sand it down. The only problem is the paint. I've got a touch-up stick (sounds a bit wrong that does...) but I don't think that'll do a smooth job. Can you get Rado paints in cans? Do I need to invest in a spray gun? Don't want to do anything that makes it look shite.

staffs_til_i_die

loving the avatar!

Mine had a tiny bit of rust round the badge on the back too. Seems a common place. Badge does kinda look cool though!

only reason they rust is cos of the dam genius holes VW decided to put in the panel! proper way is to take badges out, grind down to fresh metal inside and out, etch prime then re paint that whole rear piece! most bodyshops thats prob bout 100quid all done