Sign in to follow this  
dnac

At what year is the CAT required

As above, what year must a car have a CAT, and what happens come MOT time if you remove it?

I was thinking about getting a CAT replacement pipe for mine, and just putting the CAT back on come MOT time?

does depend on model of car but should start around 1992 if you remove it and dont know the tester then its a fail so put your cat on then take it for mot

You can get a cat bypass replacement just make sure it looks like a cat', like the ones on awsome gti. It'll then depend on the emissions, if you emissions fail with the bypass you'll have to put the cat back on for the MOT, once it passes you can switch it back.

There was a thread very recently discussing a similar issue....

to be honest i aint seen one with a cat bypass passing emissions but good luck anyway. i would do what no crap says just fit it so it passes MOT

When I had my MOT done at christmas and my car is a K reg. There was no pre cat/ after cat test. There for they didn't test my cat. Surely this means I don't need one!

Just reading from a google search, it appears that so long as your car passes an emissions test using the test based on your car having a cat, its fine not to have one on there.