Sign in to follow this  
dirtysanta

Very odd, rapid idle problem. Possibly not ISV.

Thing is the characteristics arent the same as when the ISV went on my 16v.

Iv only had the VR6 a few weeks so im still really 'green' technically.

After a fairly rapid drive home i almost ran out of juice. That when it started. I not sure which may of caused the problem, the high revs from the drive :oops: or the fact that the car was on fumes. But it stared idleing between 1000 and 1500 but really rapidly, like i was tapping the accerator twice a second. Quick bursts of revs every second and then moments after it will then cut out. It then refuses to idle. both these problems occur seperately. Either its revving in these short bursts or it wont idle at all. It means everytime i come to the lights i have to heel and toe, sort of, to keep the engine ticking over.

any ideas.

Could well be the ISV. Give it a good clean and check all the pipework is properly attached, so there is no leakage. Make sure that the foam from the black plastic ISV pot hasn't been sucked into one of the hoses- happened recently on mine and the car kept stalling.

If it's not that, then it could be any number of things such as the MAF, leads, coilpack etc etc. Start with the cheap and easy things. Also maybe worth getting it on VAGCOM before any expenditure ;)

Could well be the ISV. Give it a good clean and check all the pipework is properly attached, so there is no leakage. Make sure that the foam from the black plastic ISV pot hasn't been sucked into one of the hoses- happened recently on mine and the car kept stalling.

If it's not that, then it could be any number of things such as the MAF, leads, coilpack etc etc. Start with the cheap and easy things. Also maybe worth getting it on VAGCOM before any expenditure ;)

Nice one Cazza. Much appreciated.

One more question mate, whats VAGCOM. :oops: :oops: (spot the newbie, eh)

Good call Cazza, had exactly the same problem about 3 years ago, cleaned the ISV and problem solved.

Yep, likewise. Distinct whiff of ISV/pipework problems.