Sign in to follow this  
L100PY_H

Which car polish / technique now??

I'm in a bit of a muddle over what to choose with all the paint polishes and techniques out there at the moment!

My car is already pretty shiny, through many layers of repeated auto glym super resin polish, applied/removed lovingly with AG perfect polishing cloths but still has tiny swirl marks and is frustrating as i want a 'glass' effect on my (metallic) paint!!

The car is a sunday and high day car only so doesn't get covered in S#@*e!

I don't need to clay bar (in my humble opinion) it as the paint is already smooth but i seem to be at a plateau and cannot get it 100% as i'd like!

I have just got a machine polisher, with a 'waffle' head and some 3M machine glaze. Will this do the trick and do i need to wax over afterwards with the AG polish?

Thanks in advance for any help/advice!

Steve.

Super Resin Polish wont remove the swirls mate as its mainly a filler polish so will cover them up as such but they will always be there. If they aren't that bad you can use Meguairs Scratch-x a few times as thats abrasive and will remove some of the lighter swirls/scratches. If the swirling is quite bad though then the only way to remove them is to machine polish it. I wouldnt jump straight into machine polishing though as you could do more bad than good to the paint, you should practise first on a sh*t car or spare panel etc following some guides until you understand it properly and do a good job then tackle your corrado.

There are some very good guides for machine polishing on http://www.detailingworld.co.uk.

You should also make sure you use proper techniques, products and cloths when washing your car as this could be causing the swirling. Always rinse the car before washing it, use a woollen mitt to wash it NOT a sponge, use a microfibre drying towel instead of a chamois leather and only use microfibre cloths to polish.

Super resin does removw swirls, light scratches and has quite a good cut in it! but idoes depend how deep they are of course LOL.

if your gonna do a proper detail, a clay is well worth it, i thought mine was ok but the clay, although wasnt that dirty made the paint feel lovely, worth doing once a year at least

To be honest claying depends on how the car has been looked after.

I clayed my valver and got nothing (Yes nothing) off the paint at all, complete waste of time, but it did do a lovely job on getting crap out of the rubbers.

I would only use a polish once or twice a year, you should be looking to use a good quality wax product as a top coat and that can be applied as often as you want. A good wax will reduce the swirl on the paint and as is it not apprasive does not cut the paint either. I think Meguiars stage 3 carnuba wax is great stuff, trick is to leave it on for as long as possible before removing (24 hours+) This lets the wax harden on the car providing a linger lasting more resiliant finish.

If money is no object have a look at swissol or Zymol products for a really good wax, the difference is noticeable IMHO.