Sign in to follow this  
marcus

Top Gear mag-hatchback shoot out

The Stig tests and rates 7 of this years hot hatches.

Honda typeR

Seat Leon cupra

Astra VXR

Focus ST

Renault Megane R26

Mazda3 MPS

Golf GTi edition 30

Its pretty good feature imo.

Looks wise i think the Honda type R wins hands down.

I was amazed that the Mazda has 256 bhp :shock: out of a 2litre.

Id personally choose the Astra.....if i had to! but still wouldnt want to spend 20K on any of them....rather turbo my VR :lol:

Which would you choose from the list??

Megane closely followed by the Golf if it was for driving enjoyment

Golf by a mile as an ownership proposition

Neighbour has a VXR and I think it looks very messy and is already started to look dated, I think the Civic will go the same way

Probably the Golf because its a VW. Not for badge snobbery or anything but I just would prefer a Golf than the rest ordinarily! :)

Probably the Golf for long term ownership, thought not convinced by build quality

Interested to see how the Mazda-3 does as it's a Focus chassis....

Mazda-3 is a 4pot 2.3ltr chain drive cam' with semi-active diff I believe ... just a FWD version of the Mazda-6 MPS 4WD.

I have to say only the Golf & Focus ring my bell out of that lot. The Maxda-3 would be really interesting if they threw the Renesis (RX8) engine in there...

The new Civic-R looks like a dogs breakfast and is (apparently) 150kg heavier than the old one, but has the same power, the Leon would have been the one I would have gone for 18 months ago but (again) the new design isn't a patch on the old one. The VX Astra has a tonka-toy bodykit fitted that would have seemed chavvy even in 1980s when everyone liked them!

It's just a shame that hatchback design these days seems to be gravitating towards mini-MPVs for old people & housewives. Then they give it a red badge & 200bhp and expected performance enthusiasts to go gooey for them... bOllocks...

the Megane is probably the best out of them...........but it'll depreaciate like nobodies business

Assuming the electrics let you drive it off the forecourt ;)