Sign in to follow this  
BeavisJem

Stage 4 charger

I was looking through the recipts of my corrado and looked at the jabbasport recipt for my rebuilt charger (rebuild before i got the car) and i noticed that the previous owner went for a stage 4 rebuild.

I am wondering what difference this has over a standard rebuilt charger or a stage 2 rebuild. Do i need to inform my insurance company.

And what mods can i do to take advantage, the resdt of the c is pretty standard

Cheers

if you have a stage 4 charger it would be wise to consider a new chip to handle the extra pressure, for sure if you use a smaller pulley. depending on how much air is actually getting into the engine, you may also need larger injectors for top-end fueling.

..then you get into cams and head porting for more flow and so on and so on until you're wallet is empty and your girlfriend is long gone with a dude in an slow ugly car with time and money to take her shopping. :roll: :lol:

The "law abiding" brigade will tell you that you should declare this mod to your insurance. Strictly speaking, then you should.

Personaly, I would peel off the Jabbasport sticker & any sticky residue. If the worst happens and they inspect your car it will be far less obvious that the charger has been altered. The way to go would be to fit a smaller pulley & have the car re-mapped, however the smaller pulley would be obvious if the car was ever inspected.

Check your boost pressure - see the DIY section of http://www.snstuning.com for instructions on how to do this. If you already have a fair amount more than standard boost pressure, you could leave the standard pulley on the car and just go for a re-map. This is extremely unlikely be noticed should your car need to be inspected (they would need to dismantle your ECU).

theres no way i would inform the insurance comp....i watched jabba do mine...all you get(as well as the rebuild bits) is a steel cased bearing(std is plastic?) so that it doesnt melt at high revs...a wider belt ,so less chance of snaping...and they clean up the casting a bit(not alot in my case :x )...so its more a case of optimised than modified

theres no way i would inform the insurance comp....i watched jabba do mine...all you get(as well as the rebuild bits) is a steel cased bearing(std is plastic?) so that it doesnt melt at high revs...a wider belt ,so less chance of snaping...and they clean up the casting a bit(not alot in my case :x )...so its more a case of optimised than modified

Is that all they do for a stage 4 ??

on top of a std rebuild(apex strips ,bearings etc)....they claim its ported,id decribe it as a clean up of the casting marks...compared to some others porting its very mild

on top of a std rebuild(apex strips ,bearings etc)....they claim its ported,id decribe it as a clean up of the casting marks...compared to some others porting its very mild

Sounds like you're ANOTHER person who's not happy with J :clown: bb :clown: sport

Jabba sport are very exspensive admittedly but when it comes to knowledge and qulaity of work i think there preety sh*t hot- they have been working with forced induction for quite a few years on VAG cars and id say that although they do tend to empty your bank account when you go to see them :lol: they know more about the G40 or G60 engine more than anyone + they are also very succesful there just feccking exspensive mate! :?

I thought a stage 4 rebuild was supposed to go hand in hand with a smaller pulley and chip, otherwise whats the point!

Check your receipts or ring Jabbasport, you may find that It has been chipped & pulley'd at the same time.

Anyone know what the claimed BHP is for Stage 4, chip & pulley?

cheers

Yeah the Kit comes woth a laser cut heat shield that goes right upto the bonnet- fits really well and cost £150 but ive got one an think its worth every penny- sounds awesome and much more responsive! :p

i had my charger done by yabba 3 yrs ago. i had stg 4.

they port but not a lot. they do a good build job though as my charger is still putting 15-17psi out on the 65mm 30k miles on.

i know it need a rebuild or at least a check up. its time will come v soon.

i was very happy with their service and customer care while i was there. i havent had a problem so i cant compain about after sales.

I very much doubt the can match the customer service and knowledge of SNS on the G60 mapping/engine control front. Bilal Sam n danny know their stuff.

iv heard a lot of horror stories about jabba lately, thats why I got Darren (8vg60) to carry out my upgrade, heard a lot of good storied about him. The help he has provided has been fantastic, would definitely recomend Darren to do charger jobs.

DM

I thought a stage 4 rebuild was supposed to go hand in hand with a smaller pulley and chip, otherwise whats the point!

Check your receipts or ring Jabbasport, you may find that It has been chipped & pulley'd at the same time.

Anyone know what the claimed BHP is for Stage 4, chip & pulley?

cheers

AFAIK the claimed BHP is around 195 but realistically probably only performs at 180ish BHP..... I may be mistaken though

yeah they "claimed" 195-200bhp for mine with stg4 68mm pulley and chip...thats a bit hopfull though..id recon 175 is more like it

i felt they werent really intrested in g60's its all 20v there now

Sounds logical to me.. :wink:

Can't really chip & pulley at the same time as the new charger has to be "run in" and needs a few miles for the seals to bed in properly before it will give full boost. I left my R1 for 1k before playing around with various pulleys.

Jabba sport are very exspensive admittedly but when it comes to knowledge and qulaity of work i think there preety sh*t hot- they have been working with forced induction for quite a few years on VAG cars and id say that although they do tend to empty your bank account when you go to see them :lol: they know more about the G40 or G60 engine more than anyone + they are also very succesful there just feccking exspensive mate! :?

Excellent knowledge & quality of work may well apply to some of the staff there but I can assure you that it certainly does not apply to the guy who serviced & changed the belts on my car, earlier this year.

R1 charger now seems okay but I'm rather disappointed at the level of porting carried out. My wish, when I went there, was to have the most heavily ported & efficient charger available for a G60 (price was not a concern). I'm now aware that this is not what I have got.

I'll find out at the end of November the power figures for stage 4, chip an pulley in my car at the RR day at Star. Every car is different though and it all depends on various other elements. I can't wait but think I'll be disappointed. Ah well, time will tell I suppose 8)

If anyone wants their charger rebuilt and ported/flowed by hand, then suggest you PM John Mitchell, 16vG60, and chat to him about this subject. Seen some nice Jabba ports............... :)

john

I'll find out at the end of November the power figures for stage 4, chip an pulley in my car at the RR day at Star. Every car is different though and it all depends on various other elements. I can't wait but think I'll be disappointed. Ah well, time will tell I suppose 8)

looking forward to the rolling road day too mate, will be interesting seeing the difference between our C's since the spec will be practically the same now.

Sounds like you're ANOTHER person who's not happy with J bb sport

There are others... I am no longer alone :crazyeyes:

I had my charger serviced by john (16vG60) and was very pleased with the work carried out on my C. Taking my car back to him this weekend for new clutch, Headlight loom upgrade and fitting of new suspension.

Hi,

I would also like to recommend Gman (or 8vg60 as once known) for the service upgrade, and porting job he carried out on my already Jabba'd charger. Work and finish was all top notch!

Cheers

SCOTCORRADOG60

I had my charger stage 4'd by Jabba a couple years ago before I brought SNS over here, then a few months later I sent it to Pitstop for an inspection. Well basically the porting was very mild and the seals they used were inferior to the ones Pitstop/Gwerks use.

Anyway, the boys ported my charger properly and it made a nice difference.

Business always focuses on higher revenue sources which at the moment for jabba is the 20vT scene, cant blame them really. However its safe to say we (SNS), Pitstop and Gwerks have and are continuing to develop the G60 set up well beyond VW's original intentions :D