Sign in to follow this  
CADman

An Odd one - Timming?

Hi Guys,

New Owner Here, Still smilling allthough..

After driving it 180miles from London, we noticed the cam belt was too lose, so desicded to tighten it up, removing the air box for easy access. Then the car woudlnt start.. after some further checking on the pully alignment that confirmed to be ok, we noticed the ideal pipe (thing) excuss my newbie ignorance chap, so it now starts but wont drive worth a shit as if the ignition timming is a little off.

Any ideas?

Its like owning a supper moble you cant sleep with... hehe

Still smilling though!

Ah would anyone have the proper timming Figures for a G reg 1.8 16V?

Much appreciated, I live in the hills miles from garages. :(

get a 16vmk2 haynes manual.

I think the k-jet management is more tempremental than a girl on the blob.

If there is one sender wih a poor connection then thats it all over. Might as well get a taxi.

the ideal pipe (thing)

Care to be a little more specific??

The timming as I can remember is -

altenator pulley has a mark which lines up with arrow on lower cambelt cover. The cam shaft pully has one punched tooth but I really cant remember what it lines up to - it is either the top of the head or a mark on the tin gard for the cam belt - will have a look at my golf when someone zips up the heavens.

I think that the KR engine with K-E-Jetronic to be one of the best, most reliable injection systems ever made. It's only beaten by the original K-Jetronic because of it's simplicity. There's only a couple of components and no sensors or ECU to mess things up when they fail!

I think what CADman is on about is the vacuum hoses onto the airbox on the KR engines. 8)

You really need to check all of these thin vacuum hoses for leaks, especially at the ends were they tend to perish and become porus thus not holding vacuum. This will bugger up your timing no end and make the car run really badly at higher revs.

IIRC the Cam timing mark lines up an arrow on the top of the valve cover on the KR engines. 8)

As said before, get yourself a haines manual that covers this engine... I've got both Golf II and Passat manuals and can pretty much deal with anything on a 'rado from a combination of those... Add in a Golf III if you have a VR6! :D

there's two marks.

1/ Crank pulley. You should line the mark on the inside (closest to engine) flange of the crank pulley with the arrow on the lower plastic cam cover. A bit awkward to see from above. This marks TDC on the closest piston. You could verify this by removing the spark on the piston closest to cam belt, and dropping a very long screwdriver down. Rotate the crank until the screwdriver is as its highest.

2/ When 1/ is set, check that the mark on the cam pulley lines up with the front end of the top of the head - at the join with the rocker cover. The upper plastic cam cover needs removed to see this.

If the tensioner was loose ( :shock: :shock: ) it is possible that the belt slipped a few teeth.

Also if you removed the airbox, and the big plastic air intake arm, then it is likely that the two vacuum hoses at the throttle end of all this may have come loose. With airbox and inlet arm in place, feel around under the arm, close to the throttle, that there are two small hoses, one white/clear and the other covered in weave, are attached.

Ignition timing is easy. loosen the dizzy, Set it,about center in its movement, drive it, advance it 'till it pinks (by driving again), then retard it till it JUST stops. (advance is turning top towards front of car, retarding the reverse.

Failing that, as Henny says, just check all hoses are attached, there are no cracks in the inlet arm, and recheck the timing again - and be very sure the cambelt tension is correct (grab the cambelt between the cam and crank pulleys an the front side. You should be able to turn the belt thru 90 deg by hand and no more)

Hi Guys,

thanks for the replies guys, one of the hoses wasnt on correctly and the cam belt timming was a cog off. Which dosnt make much sense but seems thats the way it runs..

Thanks again for your efforts, back to the road! might see you at the Next VW met on 16th Nov.