Sign in to follow this  
s.g

car paint / how much??

hi looking at a full respray soon and was wondering how much i would need for a good finish i.e min 2 coats. found a supplier who does one and is mixed 50/50.

thanks

Well my body shop suggests 5litres for a full respray so 2 good coats of base and 2 good coats of 2k laqcuer. that way will last and look fantastic!!

First up, are you going to spray it yourself, or get a pro to do it for you?

If you're using cellulose, you'll want at least 5 litres, and the same or more in thinners. You'll find it'll take give or take about 6-7 good coats, plus a couple primer/base coats, and lacquer. Plus a load of cutting compound to buff it up nicely.

If you're doing it yourself you won't want 2 pack paint unless you've got a spray booth and air fed mask, it contains a form of cyanide! The yanks seem to use it with a charcoal mask, but it's not good for you, and still gets you high as a kite :Fade-color

If you do want 2k, I'm not sure I can help, as I've never used it I'm afraid!

What do you mean by mixed 50/50? Paint/thinners? If so you don't want that, mix it yourself, that way you can get the viscosity perfect for the gun and the coat you're on.

First up, are you going to spray it yourself, or get a pro to do it for you?

If you're using cellulose, you'll want at least 5 litres, and the same or more in thinners. You'll find it'll take give or take about 6-7 good coats, plus a couple primer/base coats, and lacquer. Plus a load of cutting compound to buff it up nicely.

If you're doing it yourself you won't want 2 pack paint unless you've got a spray booth and air fed mask, it contains a form of cyanide! The yanks seem to use it with a charcoal mask, but it's not good for you, and still gets you high as a kite :Fade-color

If you do want 2k, I'm not sure I can help, as I've never used it I'm afraid!

What do you mean by mixed 50/50? Paint/thinners? If so you don't want that, mix it yourself, that way you can get the viscosity perfect for the gun and the coat you're on.

when you say 5 litres is that altogether i.e primer, base and lacquer. or is that 5 litres of each which seems alot.

the 50/50 mix was thinners/base but that was the manufactures instructions.

i was going to tackle the engine bay and under arches myself that way i can carry on with installing my engine and running gear before having to ship the car off to a body shop to get the rest done as my garage is not big enough to spray in otherwise i would have done the full car.

and it is the cellulose i going to use.

Sorry, 5 litres of paint, but only about 2-3 litres of primer, and 2 litres of laquer. You'll only need a couple of good coats of primer and laquer.

5 litres does sound a lot, but I recently used 1.5 litres spraying my mates wing and bonnet, so it adds up after lots of coats.

You've probably checked already, but you need to make sure you've got a bodyshop that'll use cellulose, since it's now a bit illegal for shops to use it due to pollution. There's still places that use it though.

Just a suggestion... If you're getting a body shop to do the rest of the car, and you're just doing the bits you say, you might want to just get a couple of litres of celly for what you need then get the bodyshop to do the rest in 2k.

Provided you only spray full panels yourself the colour match should still be good, but 2k gives a much stronger, more shiny finish, which will hold it's shine for longer and won't crack/fade etc.

To be honest if the car is sprayed in a booth it does not need to be mopped with cutting compound but yes if you paint in a dusty enviroment you will need to wet flat with 1500 then mop it with g3 cutting compound to get the finish. The recomended mix for 2k paint is 2:1 thats paint to thinners and laqcuer is 2:1 +10%thinners thats laqcuer to hardener+thinners.

Hope helps