Sign in to follow this  
Riley

Broken engine mount bracket...G60 :(

Noticed a slight banging the other day when on/off power...today i fitted all new injector seals and top hat things,all went well apart from a top hat getting stuck in the head :shock:

injectorsealsnew.jpg

Anyway...had a nosey about checking for the source of the banging and...

frontenginemountbracketbroken1.jpg

wtf? i run a solid front mount,is this whats caused it?

And how best to sort it? a m8 can weld it and says it be stronger than before.Im gonna get all new mounts either way and get rid of the solid one.

Neil.

Yup - Thats what kept happening to me when I ran a solid front mount!!! Second time if it want for my strut brace I think my engine would have been a gonna!!

my 1.816v project was the same when i bought it the only thing stopping the engine falling onto the tarmac was the oil filter resting on the front crossmember. they look lik solid brackets haven't a clue why they snap. especially with the power of a 1.8

my 1.816v project was the same when i bought it the only thing stopping the engine falling onto the tarmac was the oil filter resting on the front crossmember. they look lik solid brackets haven't a clue why they snap. especially with the power of a 1.8

I think it's because the rest of the engine is on mounts that allow movement. As the front doesn't allow movement as teh rest of the engine moves it'll create fatigue on the bracket. None of my brackets snapped but actually tore! I guess this is exactly what has happened above!!!!

Bugger :( i thought it was just higher power g60's that had this problem? Sounds about right really bluejoe...about the fatigue/stress.

Whats the best way to sort it guys? weld it up? along with all 3 new genuine mounts?

Cheers,Neil.

weld it up, I had mine like that. I went through 4 of these things... I was going to redesign the bracket and cast it but it was gonna take time away from college.

And I guess that highlights the problem with solid front mounts! :(

Yup, which is why I never even went down that route. The engine's forces will simply go elsewhere, where they're not designed to go, hence best use oem or possible the VT mounts.

Tempest

problem with VT mounts is that they distribute 2/3 the load the the front brace, I did the math.

the front brace will break @ 178000 cycles, fatigue limit etc. Im a materials engineer doing masters work on fatigue limit and FEA. I reccommend blowing out your stock mount unless you feel like making your bracket out of Ti or chro moly.

another solution would be to make the front mount out of 304 steel.

Dont worry guys Im working on it. =-)

well the same happened to mine with the standard front mount and it has also happened to others with the standard mounts so i think its a design flaw with the bracket rather than the use of solid mounts, part of the problem is its only welded in two small areas either side of the bracket where it joins the round plate, i just had mine welded all the way round on both sides and also had an extra brace welded to it to strengthen it, appearantly 1 inch of weld should take 1 ton of shear and it now has about 8 inches of weld :lol:

Stoopid qustion alert, but where exctly is this mount in the engine bay?? I can't tell from the piccy.

Bit worried now coz the big round engine mount to the right hand side of the oil filter needs replacing as it has loads of play in it.

Stoopid qustion alert, but where exctly is this mount in the engine bay?? I can't tell from the piccy.

Bit worried now coz the big round engine mount to the right hand side of the oil filter needs replacing as it has loads of play in it.

It's the same one as above mate sits just below the oil filter!

flippin heck Neil

we were only talkin bout this last time u mentioned the banging. get it welded up dude, i aint gotta portable welder other wise id be there and do it. if it can come off, which i dont think it can i can do it at work 4 ya. lemme know

Not suprised this is happening, remember threads about this ages ago. Probably why VW never went down the route of bolting the engine straight to the sub-chassis, obviously not only for comfort / vibration reasons, maybe these VW engineers acutally know what they're doing after all. On a slightly related topic, what ever happened to JMR?

Shot of my mount after removing all the damaged front end. Mount was bust before accident. Another thing to add to the shopping list. Loads of weld on the mount already.

Front-mount.jpg