Sign in to follow this  
CaiosG60 PWR

Learner bike for under a

My cousins just done his CBT and want a bike under £1000 to get to a from work. Hes asked me what he should get and Ive got no idea. Ive told him that the little 2 stroke race bikes can be a bit aggressive for commuting every day. But I know whats its like, he’d probably wants a Cagiva Mito or something. I had one once and I wouldn’t really recommend one.

Any suggestions?

perosnaly best bike would be something like a cbr125 if he wants something sport if not a cb125

I had nsr 125 italian import and great bike just sports bikes can hurt if ur not use to it

I take it it's a 125 he's after. I wouldn't recommend a 2 stroke race rep for daily stuff, too high maintainance, and they sound like chicken chasers, they're not fooling anyone :wink: For under a grand it'll be hard to find a decent one that's not been ragged by a 17 year old!

I started on a Suzuki VL125 intruder, one of those fake harleys with a little V twin and everything. Didn't look or sound like a 125, and I figured any learner legal 125 is gonna be quite slow, so might as well have a comfy bike to cruise on til I could upgrade. You can probably pick a reasonable one up for about that. I assume that's not what he's interested in though.

Scramblers are a good option, stick some road tyres on and it'll be a good laugh, though I don't know enough about the small stuff to tell you which ones.

Wow yeah, just had a look, they seem to hold their value well! I sold mine for £1600 in 2002, and it's still worth that now! Unless he can find one on ebay or something cheaper.

It'd do 70 at a push, and was quite torquey in the lower revs being a twin. Nice thing was that car drivers thought it was a big bike and tended not to give me so much gyp on the roads.

I remember I really wanted an NSR125 at first, but changed my mind when I heard and saw one in real life with L plates.

Just remembered, sachs http://www.sachsmotorcycles.co.uk/, they're a german make. They do some 125's that might be worth looking at. They used to do a 125 bandit style thing which would probably be spot on, you might find a good one second hand.

Look at this one!

Lovely. I love looking at bikes, regardless of the capacity :lol:

No way, when I got a cagiva I want one of those but could find a second hand one anywhere. Only 800cc on biketrader and none on eBay.

The Suzuki looks really nice and 70mph is plenty for him. Theres one on ebay which could be under grand but it looks wrecked. The cheapest one on biketrader looks great though.

Anyone know of a similar bike to these Suzuki VL's?

Was gonna say, I couldn't find a 2nd hand one anywhere! Good looking bikes though, kind of monster feel to them.

All the jap makes a bike like that, yamaha and kawasaki both do, in fact I think yamaha started earlier with a 125 virago (or was it dragstar?) IIRC.

Just looked on the yamaha site and found a YBR125, another naked. New they're £2000, so 2nd hand could be a good option, but i get the feeling they've not been out long.