Sign in to follow this  
herisites

Changing my wheel offsets

As you can all see i have some uber wide wheels on my C, and now im on coilovers and want it sitting quite low i have obviously got problems with the wheels fouling the arches.

My set up is 9x16's all round, the fronts are et30 with 3mm spacers and have the arches rolled with slight negative camber, and these dont catch at all. The rears however are et15 and i have angle grinded the rear arch lips down to a safe point so i dont risk splitting them (i have resealed them before anyone mentions it!) and these are the bastards that catch. They are ok with just me in the car and hardly any fuel but as soon as i fill up or take someone else in it then they catch.

So i asked around a while back and somebody mentioned getting the offsets skimmed down at a metal workers. Has anyone else done this before?

I think i might know somewhere that can do it but now i need to know by how much and how much i could take them down to still be able to use the original wheel nuts. Would 5mm be enough (et20) or shall i take about 10mm off and then use spacers?

Any advice on this would be great :D

Rob.

If it were me I wouldn't remove anything from the wheels. It's just too risky where strength is concerned.

Yeah a few people have said they wouldnt bother, but the guy that told me about it (cant remember who it was) had his done and had no problems (from what i know of anyway :lol:). It just seems the only options to stop catching are to flare the arches which would cost a fortune as it would need the rear quarters respraying, or change the rear wheels for 2 new ones with et30 offset, which i suppose i could do and flog my 2 rears, but then its going to be hard to sell 2 wheels and plus they are quite bad condition so need refurbing etc.

All depends how much of the hub they have to play round with but id say go for it, its only going to be fractions if they do skim some. gota keep those wheels man, so worth getting them as practical as u can.

No good im afraid guys, i have just been to see a guy in the know and apparently it can be done but only if the offset is square, mine however are slanted and so cant be done :( so thats that idea out the window then.

Im not going to get some new wheels as this guy is doing me a fantastic job refurbing them with some special technique so they BLING 8) and so keeping them. Therefore i will be visiting the body shop to see if there is a way of pulling the arch out a tad or removing more of the arch lip without splitting and need of a respray.

Oh and im also getting something else done so watch this space ... 8)

Rob.

Er, it can easily be done mate, think it was me that told ya bout it, as I had it done a while back. It's only metal you are removing from the hub-centring face, so can't understand why can't be done due to offset being "slanted" whatefver that means ?

Anyways, easy enough to remove 5-10mm per hub-face, usually bout £10-£15 per wheel.

Er, it can easily be done mate, think it was me that told ya bout it, as I had it done a while back. It's only metal you are removing from the hub-centring face, so can't understand why can't be done due to offset being "slanted" whatefver that means ?

Anyways, easy enough to remove 5-10mm per hub-face, usually bout £10-£15 per wheel.

Yes it was you that told me about it! I remember you saying it was doable but this guy seemed pretty sure it wasnt. Where did you get yours done mate? Did you get any wheels wobble or anything? This guy said that it weakens the wheels and makes them prone to crack from the inside.

People that buy BBS RS with weird offsets / stud patterns do this all the time so they can run adapters to get the wheels on. Lots of the BBS RS wheels are ET20 / 15 / 12 etc with incompatible stud patterns, but shave off some mm from hub mounting face and thin adapters then fit on and offset, although still low means not much arch work required.

I ha this done to a set of MiM Vauxhall offset wheels I ran on my G60 and had 12mm taken off the hub face. Wheels ran true with no problems mate.I used a local sheet metal workers that had a CNC lathe to shave off the required mm's. As I said, costs about £10-£15 a wheel and ran them for 8 months with no probs.