Sign in to follow this  
Danger Mouse

ECU chip

Pardon my ignorance, im just about to put in my newly upgraded stage 4 charger with chip and 68mm pulley.....

What exactly does the chip do, never really been too sure

DM

With the charger now sorted and the smaller pulley it will be forcing more air than normal into the engine. Basically what the chip does is put extra petrol through as well so the car will run right.

The chip holds ignition and fuel maps. Some nasty car vendors hardwire them to the ECU mainboard but VW have been kind enough to use removable EPROMs, which makes rechipping a breeze.

Chipping is quite a lucrative business! I can't imagine a blank EPROM costing more than a fiver, so when Oettinger want to charge my friend £1500 to chip his Leon Cupra R (through a SEAT dealer) to 260bhp (from 210), where on earth is the extra £1495 going?

Kev

I'd hope that at least for that price he gets a day on the rollers and his own custom map rather than them just dropping a chip in! :shock:

Pardon my ignorance, im just about to put in my newly upgraded stage 4 charger with chip and 68mm pulley.....

DM

if you want send me the ecu and i will fit the chip for you for free.... send it me and i will have it back in the post in under 2hrs ...

DM

if you want send me the ecu and i will fit the chip for you for free.... send it me and i will have it back in the post in under 2hrs ...[/quote:77d4b]

Is it easy to fit? If it is can you send me some instructions and ill try and give it a go. If its not particularly easy that would be great mate.

Thanks very much :)