Sign in to follow this  
vwdeviant

Numptie Question

Went to change my headlight bulbs over to my new Halfauds Brilliance bulbs yesterday and couldn't quite believe what a b*st*rd of a job this is on a stock valver!

Have to take the battery out to get to the NS, and still couldn't get the bl@@dy clip off the back of the bulb just wouldn't move!

Then looked at the OS and almost threw the car across the garage!

Who in their right mind designs a car where you have to strip out the airbox to replace a bulb!

Anyway the question is how do I get to the OS (drivers) light? I unclipped the airbox but couldn't see a way of clearing the unti to let me get to the back of the light!

Or am I doing it all wrong and it's just easier to pull the headlight unit out?

best way is to undo the three screws holding the headlight in place and remove the lights to replace, that way you can also see the clip to undo it!

As long as the screws aren't rusted... ;)

Well I do have new reflectors to put in as well but wanted to see what the difference with just the bulbs was first....

Another job to go on hold until after the move....

Any-one know what the pitch of the screws are holding in the headlights so I can get some stainless ones and replace with "Peace of mind" (and copper-slip) when I get round to pulling my lights...

Will have to see if I can "Borrow" a mates workshop then...

I'm so not looking forward to this..... The way some of the work's been done on this car (double sided bodge tape on the side repeaters, scotch clips on the wiring..Dodgy exhaust clamps...)the heads will probably be completely knackered...

Trust me I know your pain, I've just changed mine over and found the middle screw has rusted badly and is chewed like an old dog toy... anyone know how to get this out as I don't have any drills that long!

The set procedure is to remove the headlight unit to change the bulbs.

I did manage a complete set change without taking them out once but never again.

Guess I have joined the elite club of Frustrated Bulb Changers!!!!!

Gotta agree with all the comments to date about that frekkin middle screw

The Philips XTreme's with that oh so wanted 80% more light, will have to stay in the box a few more days till I can find a sodding long drill bit!

Kev

Found this doing a search.

Just bought some nice halogen bulbs for mine, is taking the headlights out seriously the easiest way to change a bulb??????

Any chance of a photo guide for us poor buggers who are useless!!! In service to the overall community? :clap:

No chance you can hardly see the 3rd screw (mine all came out OK and have been out 3-4 times now! Always Cleaned and copperslipped each time though)...

You can see both top screws easy (on teh slam panel) the 3rd one os down the round hole between the two upper screws. Have a peer in there (thin torch helps) and you should see it!

Bit of trial and error first time!

Good luck in getting them out and remember to protect them once they're out!

My mate Dean just did mine in 5 mins without removing anything.

Just a bit fiddly with the passenger side one, used a torch and a mirror so could see exactly where he was putting it.

Drivers side was very easy as I have no airbox.

Nice bright headlights now!

Well the passenger one isnt as bright because the inside of the lamp is filthy but that's a story for another day......

my screws have come out alright, but wouldn't mind replacing them with some nicer ones, let us know if you happen to find some replacements.

the screws are easy to find :lol: i found mine first time with no looking really.

if theres a hole in something (slam panel in this case) and no explanation then its usually access to a screw or bolt. you'll need a torch