Sign in to follow this  
cymru-corrado

headunit erratic power

My headunit has developed abit of a strange power problem.

It worked fine when first installed then one day when driving just turned off.

Now it will work fine when ignition is on one turn but on 2nd turn to turn dash lights on or start engine it wont do anything and there is no power going to the unit.

Checked all fuses which are fine and had a look at wiring which again all seems in order.

Anyone any ideas as to what the fault is?

Mine did this. The wafty 15 year old fuse box was not supplying enough current to my stereo, the voltage would be around 10.5v so the stereo would cut out randomly at night and when turned up to slightly louder than a shrews fart. Run the main power cable to it direct from the battery, and I think you can switch it from the fag lighter feed.

sounds very familiar as it first cut out during one evening drive.

positive i take it thats the red wire?

is it just a case of running it to battery positive terminal or we talking abit more complicated?

Regards fag lighter switch whats the score with that also?

Sorry my eleccy knowledge is abit limited.

Cheers

If you wanna go to all the trouble of running a wire from the battery +ve, make sure that you fuse it as nearto the battery as possible.

You can pick up a supply from the Cigar lighter circuit. I think the cigar lighter is constant live, so this wouldn't supply a switching circuit. You could if you wanted to, get a switching circuit from the heated rear window switch.

Or, if the kighter is a constant live, just wire both the ign and +ve cables to the stereo. you won't have a switching supply, but if its a removable faceplate unit, it won't matter