Sign in to follow this  
mattnorgrove

Worrying Noise!

Hello all!

I've recently noticed a noise from the front N/S when turning left, its a creaking/groaning/grinding noise. It only happens when turning left under braking, into a tight junction (i.e. 90 degree turning). If i turn into the exact same junction without braking, the noise does not happen.

So, brakes i initially think, but the noise does not appear when braking in a straight line...

I have also noticed a squeeking noise if i turn the wheels when stationary.

So whats your opinions? Am i looking at a brake overhaul or something more serious???

Thanks in advance...

Just been out in the car, and its not only when braking after all...

Braking or not, the noise happens, but only when turning left, not right...

Anyone??

Are you looking to fix this your self?

If so I'd be taking a look at a fiar few things. Does the wheel have much play in it to suggest bearings gone? Have you taken the wheel off to see if the brake caliper is securely fixed, that the pads are not too loose? Also take a look at teh driveshaft boot to look for signs of cracks in the rubber and potential joint problems.

I know a few good places to take the C to in the Mids. Volksline in Nuneaton seem to be ok, but I personally go to Pete Holland in Leamington.

All four bearings done 3 months ago with genuine replacements, and no noise/drone associated with bearings at any speed either, so i'm hoping its not that...

Not really got the tools or facilities to attempt it myself so i'll be in touch with Midland VW i reckon, ta for the reccomendations tho....

Any idea on cost if it is the Outer CV??

Cheers for the replies...