Sign in to follow this  
stoner

Horrible, horrible noise on acceleration

My 16v is making a horrible noise that sounds like something scraping, or a very loud air rushing noise on hard acceleration, which happens in every gear, and gets louder as the revs go up..Seems to be coming from the passenger side but it's quite hard to tell when driving.

If I'm easy on throttle it doesn't happen, and it's not causing any problems with the car. It also doesn't occur at speeds lower that 30mph. What could it be??? It's loud enough to cause me serious worry.....could it be a wheel bearing or something like that? It's not noticeably worse round corners.

you need to be a bit specific...air rushing noise? split silencer?...possibly a wheel arch liner hanging down? pebble inthe brake pads? gearbox noise?

wheel bearings tend to drone...like wrr wrrr wrr ..and it gets better/worse on corners

Crikey, how do I describe it? OK, it's like if you were to drag a scaffold bar across a fairly smooth concrete floor, or the noise you'd get in your ears if you were standing in a hurricane! If I put my foot down hard, it kicks in after a couple of seconds, and carries on constantly until I ease up on the throttle. It's not the exhaust, only had it checked the other day. It's plenty loud enough to hear with the windows closed, even at 70mph, and it only happens on hard acceleration. not while cruising or during braking. Straight line or round corners, doesn't seem to make any difference! It's a puzzler......

Stoner is this a 1.8 16V you're on about? If it is then it could well be the idler pulley on the engine... There's a twin pulley on one of the shafts (can't remember which one, but I think it's the water pump)

This has the inner pulley attached to whatever it is (waterpump?) and the outerpulley runs on a very large diameter bush. The outer pulley goes off to the P/S pump IIRC.

The bush that this pulley slides on is a thin metal and breaks down after a while which can cause this kind of noise you describe... :?

The only thing is that this would make a noise on the Right hand side of the car (UK Drivers) not the passenger... It's worth a look though... 8)

check your exhast head shields,they sometimes vibrate at certain rev ranges,and does sound like a scaffold bar dragging across concrete

Ah, thinking about heat shields, there's a metal shield that goes over the inner CV joint on the back of the engine that most people forget about... If you've got a large amount of cr@p stuck in there, or if it's bent this could also make this sound... Good bit is that it's cheap and easy to fix if it is a heat shield... 8)

One thing to check is the space between the exhaust and the rear axle where it bends over the top of the axle. This can touch under heavy acceleration if its close and can make loads of noise. If it is this then it may bang when you go over big bumps too and be worse when there's weight in the back.

Stuart.

Hmm, I do get the exhaust banging over the bumps, and I've just had a new back mounting fitted. Could be the solution methinks.....