Sign in to follow this  
andy_vw

In Car PC - Carputer

Hi All,

After looking at different sat nav products... I've decided to build myself an in-car-pc (known as a carputer!)

That way I can choose my screen size, have sat nav, link it to my sound system - thousands of MP3's at the touch a screen! DVDs for my passengers, PDF manuals, ETOS etc on it... The possibilities are endless!

Just bought myself a base unit:

3GHz, 1 GB of Ram, 120GB Hard drive etc... All in a small case - approx 32cm x 20cm x 17cm (D x W x H).

Looking at a 8" touch screen.

My company designs & builds power supplies, so powers not a problem - Custom 12V ATX :D

I'll post as it develops, if anyone is interested... Anyone else got one?

Cheers,

Andy.

there was a big thread on this a while back IIRC

spec seems like it has some oopmh, what you planning on running??

i have just got one off quicky on here. been looking at front ends for it also will need car power supply so i will give you a shout :wink: :lol: . . what o/s are you thinking of using for it??

andy_vw, would your company be able to make a power supply to run the xbox 360 in a car?

the 360 needs a 250w ATX power supply and i cant find an in car one that powerfull, biggest i have seen is about 200w

My carputer was one of my first projects on the rado, got sat nav, all my music, wifi, getting a new radio for it soon. My specs not quite as impressive as yours, its an epia mini itx 900mhz (17cm x 17cm) 512mb ram 30gb hdd dvd drive, seems to do alright performance wise.

I'm using an m1-atx 90w "intelligent" power supply, it has delayed startup and shutdown options and an amp remote to avoid amp pop when the computer switches on and off.

7" touchscreen fits quite nicely in the dash

[align=center]th_DSC00321.jpg

th_DSC00372.jpg[/align]

Lippy - Yea, I think I have gone abit over board with the spec. Thing is I already had a small base unit, but I was playing about with it the other nite & just takes a lifetime to do anything! - 300Mhz, So I thought sod it!

S.G - Yea give us a shout, I'll post my solution when I have it. Going to be either running XP Media Center or Linux.

coolrado - Shouldn't be a problem, what ATX spec does the 360 use? As in does it use all the outputs? - 3v3 & 5v?

g60ff - Liking that a lot! Any pics of the brains? ;)

Cheers,

Andy.

you can see a usb hub dangling in the second pic, I use an extension up to the glove box for plugging in my memory stick if i want to update anything. Other than that the main pc is in the boot, don't have any pics of that will take some tomorrow.

coolrado - Shouldn't be a problem, what ATX spec does the 360 use? As in does it use all the outputs? - 3v3 & 5v?

just checked and the 360 requires 203w and only uses the connections for the hard drive more detailed info here clicky 360 atx bodge

That is a really nice piece of work g60ff :thumb right: . Looks really smart.