Sign in to follow this  
A5 VRX

Head re-build?

My valver has done around 150k and i'm starting to think of a head re-build, is this the right thing to do? I'm pretty clueless about this sort of stuff so any help welcome! Will the head re-build be a do and forget job for another 100k? Thanks in advance, AJ

If it ain't broke don't fix it. It is likely that the exhaust guides are shot but unlikely that the bottom end would last another 100K so you would be pulling it off again. If it is quiet and not smoking, don't touch it. The gains from just gas flowing a KR head don't justify the expense. Save up for a 9A conversion and gas flowed head.

It's occasionally tappety and kicks some smoke out when you boot it, just dont know what the best thing for it is? Was thinking of a 1.9 16v or something if funds did permit...

Humm, maybe time is not on your side. To be honest, a 1.9 conversion will nearly cost as much as a 2L considering the price of the 83-mm Audi 2.3 20v pistons and all the other parts/work such as boring, piston clearancing for the oil jets, oil pump etc etc. What I advise people to do is go and find a cheap worn out 9A and pull it down to a block and sump but leave on the oil pump drive adapter and front pulley but remove everything else. Then go to VW and exchange it for a recon unit 051 100 103 BX which has just gone up slightly to £1013.72 inc. VAT.

was thinking the same for mine except was going for 2l convertion engine dont smoke even if you boot it but it stinks terrible smells like oil then sometimes like exhaust posted thread but had no joy with help thinking may get whole engine start rebuild so if old engine goes straight back on road 8)

Been thinking and what i really would like is a 2.0 16v pushing 170+bhp or so, as i want something quick but reliable. Do i get my engine re-built to that or use an ABF or something? Who does this kind of things? Thanks